Sunday, January 23, 2011

All about a Danish

Our little Dane turned three on January 14. Three year old birthdays are so much fun because they GET IT. That means that they understand that they are awesome, that they can say things like "I get to go first-take that from you-eat that-make a general nuisance of myself- because it's my birthday!!" and that the events of the day (or days as our family seems to do) revolve around them.

I always make the kids a special breakfast, lunch, and dinner for their birthdays. Knowing that Dane loves pancakes I asked him what he wanted for his breakfast. He paused to think and said, "Syrup." Later I asked what he wanted for dinner and he said, "Soup." This floored me because making him eat any kind of soup is a full assault battle. "What kind of soup?" I asked. "Syrup soup." Hey, at least the kid knows his own mind!

Dane truly had a wonderful birthday. He loved his cake, he loved his gifts, he loved going to Chuck E. Cheese, and he loved all the special attention. I love birthdays too, it's a chance to really dote on one of the kids and go out of the way to make them feel special. My mom always made a big deal out of our birthdays and they are some of my best childhood memories. I am hoping to repeat that with our kiddos. In a house full of kids it's a big deal to have a day or two devoted only to you! OH, and thank you to all our wonderful family who spent the day with us and made his day special. Grandma Julie, you were missed!

I included many pictures of his birthday as well as the shots I took for his third birthday. I think I have a couple of ones that are good enough to avoid the JC Penneys. Of course the photo shoot ended up with him tantruming and crying in time out but hey, you can't tell from the photos!

Happy Monday folks!













7 comments:

Sara Jones said...

Yes, I am commenting on my own blog.

One: Note to self: fix red eye before posting pictures.

Two: Yes, Dane now has a gray front tooth. Please refer to past post in which he smacked his mouth on the bunk bed as our Care Group was starting.

Jules said...

Ah so cute! It makes me so sad that I had to miss the big event. Curse that stupid bubonic plague!

Angela said...

AWESOME job on the cake! very very impressive.
What an awesome little boy you have there. Great pictures!!!

Anonymous said...

Your precious family brings tears to my eyes! Miss You!

BTW, I entered my forever floundering manuscript in a writing contest this month. :D

tara said...

The picture of Dane in between the balloons is totally blow-up frame worthy. Awesome!

KayLynn said...

Cake is amazing! Dane is so stinking cute!

Jenny said...

I have to agree with all the above comments...LOVE the cake, you rock. Your son is just darling and it looks like he LOVED turning 3. And I must add that I loved the picture of Johanna! I'm trying to figure out who she looks like, though. I'm thinking more of you than Greg, but man, she is just a doll. She's already getting so big! Miss you all.