Friday, April 11, 2008

You're invited to my pity party

Between illness and Greg being out of town, sleep for mama has been in short supply.  I have reached crisis levels of sleep deprivation and judging from my meltdown last night I knew I had to make getting some rest a priority.  Today, it seemed as though the heavens were shining down upon me.  After a busy morning, ALL THREE KIDS were ready to sleep around 1:30.  I got everyone down, it was 1:45.  I literally ran, grabbed the softest blanket ever (thanks mom) and curled up on the couch.  Laundry and clean bathrooms be damned, I was going to sleep.  The next hour transpire as such:


*Nathan crying for his binky.  Me, out from underneath lovely blanket, upstairs, retrieve binky.  Back to nappy time.

*Dane, crying for no reason.  Me, up, feverishly searching for his binky and proceeding to pat him for five minutes until he went back to sleep.  Back to lovely blanket.  Almost asleep when...

*Aubrey, up to pee and "just check on you."

*Nathan, hack hack hack, crying for water.  Back up I go.

*Aubrey, wanting to sleep somewhere else because Nathan's coughing it waking her up.  I put her in our room where Dane is sleeping.

*Jingle jangle, jingle jangle.  Aubrey has found my cool metal belt which she is rattling.  

*Dane: WWWAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!  More patting to get him back to sleep.

*Aubrey:  "Mommy, will you sleep with me?"  I try, leaving lovely blanket behind and exchanging it for my precious daughter pulling my hair and waving puppy in my face to see if it would make me open my eyes.  It did.

*I try to rest on couch one more time, when, seriously, I hear Dane crying.  AGAIN.

This continued until about 10 minutes ago when I got Dane up (who promptly fell back asleep in my arms) and decided to just do the laundry and clean the bathrooms.  Except now it's time for Aubrey to get up and I hear Nathan calling my name.  Honestly, it was like the meanest cosmic joke ever.  Greg is so bringing dinner home tonight.


4 comments:

Jules said...

Oh Sara, that sounded SO brutal. It made me think of the night when Lianna and Hannah took turns puking in their beds. All night long was full of crying, whining and nausea and they didn't do great either. Of course after 17 minutes of sleep that night the thought of a nap the following day was laughable. I looked like a white-haired troll by the end of the day. Good luck tonight and take-out dinner sounds fair. I will pray to the sleeping gods for you tonight.

Jenny said...

Ugh! Sara, that sounds miserable. I feel for you so much...there's no worse feeling than being so exhausted and finally laying down for a glorious nap and right as you're drifting off to your happy place, a baby cries. It literally has made me want to cry before. You just want to say "just one more minute!" But for some reason, they don't care that your so sleep deprived you feel like a walking zombie. Go figure. Enjoy this weekend...I'm Greg will give you some quality nap time!

Jenny said...

Ugh! Sara, that sounds miserable. I feel for you so much...there's no worse feeling than being so exhausted and finally laying down for a glorious nap and right as you're drifting off to your happy place, a baby cries. It literally has made me want to cry before. You just want to say "just one more minute!" But for some reason, they don't care that your so sleep deprived you feel like a walking zombie. Go figure. Enjoy this weekend...I'm sure Greg will give you some quality nap time!

Larson log said...

The ATTEMPT at the day time nap is the worst! Hopefully, Greg is letting you sleep in tomorrow.

Your kids are just beautiful-Dane is such a doll!