Monday, February 9, 2009

Sins and not sins

While my brother-in-law disagrees (he is a purist), my sister KayLynn and I think the following may be a sin.  Greg has been eating for breakfast a bowl of oatmeal with a very runny egg and a banana smashed in it.  What do you think?  How bad is that crime?  (P.S.  He has also lost almost 20 pounds, got new glasses, grew a goatee, and is smoking hot.  It almost compensates for that horror of a breakfast.)


While one member of our home is committing sins against cuisine (KayLynn said that if God wouldn't eat it than it can't possibly be okay) another small member of this home is sitting in God's palm.  We always pray at night with the kids but Aubrey has started doing the praying herself.  Her prayers are one of the best parts of my day.  They are simple and truthful and beautiful.  It's mostly one thank you after another and she thinks of all the small conversations we have during the day.  Tonight she asked me if her friend Sarah would be at bible study tomorrow (she was home sick last week.)  I told her I thought so and that was the end of it.  Tonight at prayers though she said, unprompted, "Thank you for making my friend Sarah well so that I can see her tomorrow.  Thank you that she is my friend.  And thank you that I get to see Grandma Julie and Grandpa Wayne in FOUR DAYS!"

God, thank you for my kids.  

4 comments:

KayLynn said...

I thank God for your kids too! When they had their mini-basketball bonanza on Sunday I nearly died of joy. Children are so incredible! Today Claire started pushing KayLynn's exercise ball around (with small aid from me) and she was ecstatic...so was her daddy!

Jules said...

That is about the sweetest thing I've heard in my life and picturing my little Aubrey praying that prayer totally made me misty. I just could not love those grandbabies of mine more. I can not WAIT to see them and feel honored that we were part of her thanks in her prayer, boy that that melt my heart and make my eyes leak.

And tell Greg my gag button was in overdrive reading your description of his breakfast, I am SURE it is a sin!

Angela said...

Oh Aubrey, you are such a sweet sweet girl...you will make SUCH a wonderful wife for Adam! :) As long as you never fix Adam the same breakfast your daddy eats, I am sure he will be yours forever! :)

KayLynn said...

This is the real KayLynn. Your children are precious. I thank God for all of them! And you! And Greg! But I don't thank God for bananas. Especially not mixed with eggs and oatmeal.