At about 7:30 this morning the cars started lining up.
By 9:00 a.m. when I brought Aubrey to school they stretched all the way down my street, lining both sides. Dozens of people rushed toward our neighbors house, trying to beat out the person next to them for some treasure.
Our elderly neighbor passed away two months ago and her family is holding her estate sale today. I had no idea these things were this popular. There has been an unrelenting stream of vehicles for several hours now.
It doesn't take a brilliant philosopher to deduce that ones life, a quality life, had better be about more than the stuff one owns. One day someone could open your home to the public and allow perfect strangers to buy up all the things that you thought were important. Your furniture, the art on your walls, the dishes in your cupboards, all the tools in your garage. It all goes.
What they won't be able to take is the family you had, the friends you had, the relationships you built, the impact and influence you had on the people around you, and your faith in God.
I hope you get the opportunity today to work on building up those things that one day won't be for sale!
Friday, December 10, 2010
Not for sale
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
:)
thanks for the goosebumps! :)
#1 everything I do is being built so that no one will be able to pick over it in an estate sale... hooray avoiding estate taxes!
#2 now that I'm best friends with the Joneses and Sack-ladies... what other relationships could I POSSIBLY need to build?!?!?!
#3 is the neighbor's house for sale? PLEASE reserve it for us!!!
Well said! AND I agree about reserving the house for the Brandons.
Post a Comment