Sunday, May 1, 2011

And I think to myself, what a wonderful world

Oh man, that is one corny subject line. Go ahead, reread it. CORNY.

BUT TRUE.

I guess it was more like a wonderful weekend but still. A wonderful weekend that is a reflection of a wonderful life. You know, good husband, good kids, good friends, good wine. Okay, so I don't drink wine but it fit the motif of cheesy sayings. Next I'll be talking about how I "LIVED, LAUGHED, AND LOVED" this weekend.

This is why it was a great weekend.

Greg and I hired a great baby sitter and went to a dueling piano lounge on Friday night. It was fabulous! Two guys playing incredible piano, fun crowd interaction, songs on request, warm flat bread and hummus to snack on, and dancing. I can't remember the last time we went somewhere like that. College maybe??

The sun shown down on us and we got a ton of yard work done. By we I mean mostly Greg. He dug up a huge section of the border of our back yard that was being devoured by the weed OREGON GRAPE. It must be typed in caps because it is that nasty and that virulent and that hard to get rid of. He had to unwind all its nasty roots from around our underground sprinkler pipe. He mowed and trimmed and manicured the front lawn. He and his dad got our sprinkler system going. I pulled up some weed paper and kept Johann from ingesting too much dirt. The kids literally drank up the sun shine and became filthy little creatures, the way all kids should look on a beautiful spring day.

We celebrated Greg's birthday today with a BBQ. We had his parents over and our great friends, Angela and Justin, joined us after coming into town for Bloomsday. Food was delicious and the company better. Plus, the sun was shining. Greg makes a very handsome 34 year old, even cuter than when I met him at 21.

I swam a half mile without stopping, the entire distance I need to go for the triathlon I'm doing in August. It was awesome! I did pull out an Olympic style frog backstroke at the end because I was so tired but hey, I did it, and I get 30 bonus points for not drowning. The rest of my training is going great too. My darling friend Jenny talked me into this triathlon but I'm doing it for me now and it feels good.

All of our kids, even Johanna, got Bibles for Easter. It was been so exciting to see how excited they are about them. Nathan in particular seems the most spiritually sensitive of the kids right now and asks such thoughtful questions. He loves the stories of God's greatest miracles and asks us to read to him out of his new Bible all the time. Dane is still learning but he did march in to me this weekend, indignant and sad and said, "Mom, Nathan squished a spider but it is one of Jesus's creatures!" What do you say to that?? Aubrey has been working on reading the book of Esther to herself out of a real BIble. This is hard reading for her but after I summarized the book for her she was sold. What girl doesn't want to read about a girl who is used by God, becomes a princess, and saves her people?

What else? I'm sure there is more but for now I'm going to go and snuggle with my husband. What a wonderful weekend!

3 comments:

Larson log said...

Hey, Sara...
A million years ago you mentioned that you were thinking about homeschooling and I am thinking about it too and would love to here what you decided and if you chosen a curriculum, ect....Update me!

Jules said...

Ah, life is good isn't it.

KayLynn said...

Loved the post. Love the Joneses.