Last January my dear friend Jenny, friend for life and mom of two, called me from Olympia and said, "I think you should do a sprint triathlon with me next summer."
At the time I had a six month old baby, not to mention my other three kids. I was horribly out of shape and had zero desire to do a triathlon. Except I did kind of want to. I told her I would think about it.
I asked Greg what he thought. He looked at me with great skepticism and said, "I"ll believe it when I see it." Don't pass judgement on the guy, I was thinking the same thing. Besides, I HATED TO SWIM. And when would I find the time to workout? So I didn't blame him for saying it but it did ignite a little fire in me.
Then I talked to my other dear friend Angela, also a mom of four with a six month old baby, and asked her if she'd do it. She said no. Then she said yes. Then she said she'd think about it.
My sister-in-law Julie, mom of my sweet nephew Jonny, was in from the very beginning. "Sure, I'll do it."
Eventually, each in our own way, we all committed to completing our first triathlon together in August.
My first work out was a Jillian Michael's video that left me nauseated it was so hard.
My first swim was for 12 minutes and I was exhausted.
I had to get up at 5:30 a.m. to do my workouts in the morning.
BUT THEN.....
We all did it. 1/2 mile swim, 12.4 mile bike, 5 k (3.2 miles) run. I did it in 1:35:25. We all met or exceeded our personal time goals. It was awesome and I can't wait to do another one. Good job girls, we rocked it!!
p.s. If you are just checking my blog out in a while, keep scrolling down, I posted twice in one day, Wonders never cease.
Monday, August 15, 2011
Danskin Triathlon 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Sara, I am so proud of you girls. You never cease to amaze me. Congratulations!!!
Yay, I didn't have to wait more than a few hours! :)
You are so inspirational. I had no idea you didn't like to swim. That's me. (I like to view the water as something to relax in rather than to conquer.)
So--would you do it again?
These pictures make me smile. Bring on the next one!
p.s. My word verification below is "danest". :)
Melissa, I think everyone of us is talking about "next time." I fully plan on doing some of the local ones next year. This was a perfect first tri, women of every age, size, shape, and ability. Lots of encouragement and support. It truly was great and I'm already plotting how to shave minutes off my time on the next one!
Yay, girl power!! :-) You all look great. Congrats on beating your goal. Awesome accomplishment!
--Tara
Good job, Sara!
AWESOME!!!
Love the double post too!
I got misty all over again seeing these pictures. I'm so proud of you and Jen, Angela, Julie and ALL the other women too. How inspirational!
Post a Comment