With a child coming on school age, the question of where to send our kids to school has been on our minds a lot lately. Public, private, or home school? Or just put a blanket over our heads and hope the little darlings learn all they need to know off of bathroom stall walls?
I'd love to hear other opinions. If you have kids in school, have an opinion on a type of schooling, or any other information related to this topic, I'd love to hear it. What do you think?
p.s. I do have one option that I like best but will not say because I don't wish to influence the conversation. I'll revisit that after people respond.
Sunday, March 15, 2009
I walked up hill both ways
Posted by Sara Jones at 7:58 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
It looks like you have everybody befuddled Sara. I really don't have any great insight into it either as I see benefits to all ways. Good luck on that, whatever you decide will work out just fine.
i am biased, but i vote public school. although wasl is totally controversial and not popular (and there are many kinks still needding to be fixed), i think that it is creating greater accountability in the public schools. no child left behind is demanding more testing of teachers and higher certification requirements. that means better teachers for students in the public schools. i think private school would be awesome as well; when i was deliberating, i figured aubrey is most definitely getting about the best christian and moral rearing (yes, i said rear) at home, so i dont think it is AS essential that she's getting it at school also. in my opinion, accountability in the school system is more important. having said that, it was VERY cool to be at st. als around christmastime when you could actually say "jesus" and sing REAL christmas carols. a lot to be said for that. i would not vote for home schooling. aubrey deserves to see the wonderful world around her! public school or prive schools for sure...leaning towards public. i'm glad i dont have to make a decision like that for a long long time!! best of luck sis!
Hi Sara, We loved it when Jenny and Jason were in private school (St. Pauls and St Joseph). Public schools probably gave them a better reality of the world later on, though. Doug went all 12 years to private school, but those were the days when the principal used a board to discipline, ouch! Good luck with the decision. Nice to keep up with your family on line.
I agree with Lianna, the important thing is accountability in the school. If you feel like the public schools have good teachers and administrators who are accountable for their actions, then public school will be fine. If there is no accountability, then you are likely to be saddled with some real "winners" who will likely do little or nothing to educate your children (for an example refer to the Coeur d'Alene school district). In that scenario, choose private schools... if you can find a good public one, send the kids there, no reason to pay twice for a private education (pay once for private tuition, continue pay for public tuition via taxes as well). Anyways, good luck!
I am so glad I still have another year to decide for Joshua. I'm already stressing about it myself. Aubrey seems to be the type that would thrive no matter what choice you make! I'll pray for you guys making this decision!
Sara, first of all I can't believe it's time for you guys to start thinking about this. Your daughter is going to be 5 in a five months! How did this happen?
With that being said, I'm going to have to agree with the public school votes. I agree that of course it should be a good public school that has actively involved teachers and staff who care about your child and the education they offer them.
Now, how you go upon finding that out I have no idea. I'm frightened for the day I have to make the choice of what school to send Anna to. Do you guys have any friends in Liberty Lake that can give their opinions and tell you their experiences? That always helps.
This isn't saying I'm against private school at all. But, I agree with Lianna that I think the benefits that private school has to offer, Aubrey is getting at home. She is such a bright girl, she will excel with whatever decision you make.
I personally would not go with homeschooling. I think there are important social lessons that kids learn in a school environment and besides, who's going to teach her cuss words if she stays home? Just kidding. :)
It's not an easy decision. You'll have to tell me how you guys came to your decision once it's made so that hopefully it'll help us in a few years! Good luck!
I've been following the comments on this post because I too was very interested to see what others had to say. Justin and I just made this tough decision ourselves. I am one who can absolutely argue pros/cons of public and private schools. We however choose a private Catholic school. I can give you a long list of reasons why but to be very honest in the end our deciding factor was...our guts. We just got a wonderful feeling from this school and in our hearts we knew this is the right place for our family to be. Greg and Sara I hope you get the same feeling no matter what you choose! :)
I have to say that I was waiting for a "Pro-Private Schooler" out there before I casted my vote. I am such a weeney huh?
Home-schooling? Nah! Having Aubrey away from the home will give you some bonding time with the others. And I really don't think building and using a curriculum yourself allows for ANY TIME for you! Do you really feel that you have any extra time in your schedule? Don't you think that it would actually negatively affect the other 2 b/c you wouldn't be able to give them as much attention?
On the other hand...there is way too much crap going on in public schools. And I am not just talking about bad language. Unfortunately, kids may get disciplined for wrong actions at school, but that doesn't prevent them from actually happening and for our innocent children being exposed to it. Sex and violence are 2 things that come to mind that are occuring rampantly. I am not saying that it isn't happening in private schools, but private schools, dwindle the amount of people that are included in these things.
The decision has been made for us long ago. I guess I am a little biased being that I am a school board member myself of a private school.
Good luck! I am looking forward to hearing your decision!
Post a Comment