The house is on the market!!!!!!
Now that I have made that sound so thrilling, so life changing, can I say that it was completely anticlimactic? We are going to try and sell the house ourselves so "putting it on the market" consisted of me putting a For Sale By Owner sign in the front yard, making a blog site, and posting the sale on Zillow.com and Craigslist. Which, by the way, I need some encouragement about Craigslist. Does anything really sell off of there??? It's just miles and miles of nondescript lists. I personally never use it because there are rarely pictures and I'm skimming through lines of words. Do you use Craigslist?
Can you get my feeling? I am not sold on For Sale By Owner. I want someone else to get us out there, show the house, and take my 7%. (Okay, not really the 7% part but doing all the work part.) We are going to see what happens in the next two weeks. I'd like to post the house to ForSaleByOwner.com but Greg wants to give it a bit before we spend the extra money. I might have accused him of taking the cheap way out. Not a nice wife moment. Anyways, we are for sale now and praying that things move quickly. Little Baby Mojo feels like a great big ticking clock to get this move over and done with.
Go take a look for me and see if you can find us on Craigslist or Zillow. I don't want to put out too much information on this blog since I'm not positive who reads it. Let me know what you think of the blog I put together. Tell me that you are desperate to buy my house.
Cheerio!
Monday, February 8, 2010
IT'S OFFICIAL
Posted by Greg Jones at 12:57 PM
Labels: house for sale
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Hey Sara,
Julie and I bought our car off Craigslist...not really a house, but still a pretty big purchase. We would be on it every day when we were in the market scouring deals.
When people are looking to move to a specific location and into a specifically sized house for 'x' amount of money, those lists get pretty small pretty quick.
Good luck!
1. I found you very easily in all three spots.
2. Everything looks super! The pictures are great, and you did a fantastic job staging the house. Pat yourself on the back, mama-of-3-kids-five-and-under-and-pregnant-to-boot. :)
3. We have used Craigslist to buy and sell multiple items with success. And I checked CL all. the. time. when we were buying this house.
4. It definitely doesn't hurt to see what happens with your existing exposure. I actually found our house at forsalebyowner.com, but if they had posted it on CL and had a link to a blog like you do, it would have been just as effective. However, I would suggest adding the phrase "for sale by owner" to your CL listing. Some people will use that phrase in their search to make sure they're not missing anything that's out there (because most realtors aren't going to search out FSBO's for their clients), and others simply don't want to work with a realtor.
4. My only other suggestion is to change the wording on the blog to "Please allow one hour notice for showing" so that people don't think seeing the house is going to take an hour. ;
This is so exciting!
I think Melissa had a couple of great suggestions and I do think you should do the things she mentioned. You blog looks great and the house looks sparkling clean.
Well, crap. I just wrote a great, big, long response, and stupid blogger couldn't post it. Grrr. Here's a summary:
Great job!! Like I said before, you've done an amazing job at getting your house "show ready" and I think any realtor off of HGTV would agree! :)
I found your house on all three sites very easily. The blog turned out great and I think your pictures showcase your house really well.
I'm a firm believer and a big fan of Craigslist. I've sold many things very quickly on that site (granted they were not a a house) and have bought many things on that site (granted they were not houses)! But I think you would be very suprised at how many people use it to find houses!
I do have one suggestion for your posting. I would try to get your title to stand out in someway. Whether it's using all capital letters or putting symbols before and after it (or a combo of both), just something to get the title to stand out from the others. Something like this:
***$199000 / 3br - Move in ready Liberty Lake, WA Home for Sale***
Something to say "HEY YOU...CLICK ON ME. YOU WANT TO BUY ME!"
I am hoping and praying for a speedy sale for you guys!!
Everyone uses Craigslist! That was the only means we used to find a place to rent here in Seattle. And Jason's right. There are tons of listings, but when you narrow down your search, you get a managable number. Very good place to post the sale!
Sara, look at Spokanebyowner.com. That's what we used when we sold our Spokane home. It sold in 2 days for a tidy profit (sounds so 2006). Anyway, for us, having a professional looking wood yard sign was key, along with their website. It cost a little cash, but made up for it in exposure.
Nice work in going FSBO. You'll save a good chunk of cash, and will be suprised at how easy figuring out the transaction will be.
We had our home down here on Craigslist for a while. A few interested buyers, but the best was an email offering to trade for 140 acres of "sportmen's paradise" in central Alabama. In hindsight, we probably should have taken it.
Post a Comment