Tuesday, February 9, 2010

They didn't tell me about this




Parenting. It always surprises you. I remember thinking with Aubrey that once she slept through the night that it would all be a piece of cake. ANYTHING had to be easier than sleep deprivation. Go ahead now, laugh amongst yourselves.

Those of you who know Aubrey understand that she is a sensitive soul. She doesn't like big crowds, is content working on art projects and crafts, and requires gentle parenting. She is thoughtful and considerate and kind but an extrovert or a dare devil, she is not.

Onto my story. We were at a birthday party this evening at McDonalds. It has a huge tunnel like play structure with a large, twisty, enclosed tunnel slide coming down off of it. Only recently has Aubrey even ventured down it and that was with plenty of encouragement. Nathan on the other hand likes it best on his stomach, head first, a face splitting smile on his face.

All night Nathan threw himself down that slide head first. Aubrey really really wanted to do it. She wanted to see what he was grinning wildly about. She came up to me, already nearly in tears, and said, "Mommy, I want to go down the slide head first but I'm so scared. BUT I WANT TO."

I encouraged her that she could do it and that I would wait at the bottom for her. Nathan went first to show her how. Understand, the entrance to this slide is way up in the middle of this huge tunnel structure and it's nearly impossible for this pregnant mama to get to her. I could hear her though, sobbing at the top, "Mommy, I want to, I want to, I want to, but I'm so scared!"

Other kids came down that had crawled past her. I yelled up to her, "Honey, just go feet first. I'm standing right at the bottom waiting for you. We can practice head first later."

Out came Nathan, head first, and bounced out shouting, "THAT IS SO MUCH FUN!"

Then I heard Aubrey's tentative voice saying, "Mommy, I'm coming, I'm coming." I could see her little shadow slowly creeping down, hands first. "YOU CAN DO IT HONEY! GOOD JOB!"

Then, the hysterics, the panic. "MOMMY, HELP ME, HELP ME, I'M TOO SCARED, I'M TOO SCARED!!!! HHEEEEEELLLLLPPPPP MMMEEEE!!!!!!"

Without a thought this mama climbed up the tunnel slide, nearly to the top, and held her hands all the way down. By the time we got to the bottom she was sobbing so hard she couldn't talk. I picked her up and held her while she cried and cried.

When she could talk she looked at me with these huge teary eyes and said, "Mommy, how come I'm not brave like Nathan? I want to be brave and I tried so hard but I was just scared. How come I'm not brave?"

Yes, there were tears in my eyes. There was my precious, just the way God made her, little girl, wondering why she wasn't good enough. Broke my heart right there in the craze of a McDonald's birthday party.

The thing is, I want her to have the courage to try things that scare her. I want her to conquer her fears and know the confidence that comes from thinking you couldn't do something but you did it anyways. I also want her to have the confidence to say, "I am exactly the way God made me and I'm satisfied with that. I'd rather not go head first down the dark twisty slide, thank you very much."

So, I talked my best talk and she listened. I told her that God makes everyone different and special. I told her that we are all made differently to fulfill the plan that God has for each of us. He wants to do something different with her then he wants to do with Nathan or Dane or Mommy and Daddy. That means that we are all special, with special talents and skills. It also means that we are each going to have things that we are naturally good at and things that we have to work harder at to be successful. I tried to emphasize that even if it's hard it doesn't mean we don't do it, we just do it knowing it might take us more work than a different person. I rambled on and on, trying to find the balance I had in my head with my inadequate words.

I talked about what true bravery is. Yes, it's doing something despite its difficulty. What it really is though is doing the RIGHT thing, the Godly thing, despite its difficulty. We talked about a time that she refused to exclude the younger sibling of a friend from playing even though the big sister wanted to. I told her that was true bravery, doing the right and kind thing even when it felt hard. That's the kind of bravery God is interested in, not whether or not she goes head first down a slide.

This might seem like over kill for a scared kid on a slide but this is the tough stuff I tell you. Teaching our kids to value themselves not because of what they accomplish but because of who they are in Christ. If only I knew how to consistently apply this to my own life, maybe I would feel better about teaching it to my children. My precious babies who are created and knit together by God, the exact way they are supposed to be.

As for the slide? Well, Greg loves roller coasters and I hate them. I'm okay with that and I pray that Aubrey can be too.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, what a sweetheart! As sad as the moments with my kids sometimes make me, I love them! Such a teachable time. Good job, mama!

Jules said...

You done good mama? You can tell her Grandma would have been completely claustrophobic and scared too and would not have been able to do it either. And that isn't important. I love the fact that you brought up the time she let a younger sibling play. SO MUCH more important and brave. Also, her gift is her art, the kid is incredible so she has her gift too, and may make it through life without stitches or broken bones. I wish I could say the same for Nathan. Obviously it's too late for Dane already.

Angela said...

Awesome job Sara. This post made me tear up, maybe because I'm pregnant or maybe it's because little Aubrey is so much like my little Adam. Parenting is so hard and this is such a prime example. I love the direction you took it, bravo. All I can say is that I believe you nailed this one. If you keep talks like that up, she will indeed be fine with saying NO thanks to the twisty slide...and later on maybe it wont' be the twisty slide but a drink of alcohol or try of drugs. I believe it is such an important value to instill in our children to have a mind of their own and be okay with who they are. Kudos my friend!

Jason Pegg said...

I can totally see the entire event. Well handled, Sara! I'm sure this won't be the first time you comfort Aubrey as Nathan flies by with reckless abandon. :-) But regardless, you handled it REALLY well. Lots of Godly wisdom there!

Your story makes me think of a conversation between me and my mother about Ethan. (For those that might read this besides Sara: Ethan is classified as High Functioning Autistic. He's smart, fun, but has a hard time in social situations and especially in crowds and intense environments.) She asked if Ethan ever wanted to go to DisneyLand. I had asked him, and he said, "No, Daddy. I think it would be too much for me." Well my mom was heartbroken. She was sad that he would miss out on something so fun.

I thought about this a bit, then asked my mom a question. "Mom, one of the things I have ALWAYS wanted to do is go skydiving. If I can arrange it, will you go with me?" "Absolutely not!" was her rather hasty response. "But Mom, you'd be missing out." She got the point.

MY point in all this is to say that no one can say what someone else should or should not enjoy, what they are or are not missing out on, etc. You are wise to counsel Aubrey the way you did. Encourage her to go out on the edge a bit, but let her know that it's okay for her to be who she is and to get enjoyment out of life just the way she does today. WAY COOL. :-)

Jenny said...

Sara, excellent job with such a tough situation. Poor little Aubrey...she is such a gentle and sensative little girl. I only hope I will be able to share the same level of wisdom with my children as they grow up, that you shared with yours. You get a gold star mommy!

Jules said...

I've been trying to get that question mark after "you done good mama" to the exclamation point I meant it to be but I don't know how to do it. It really changes the whole sentence having the question mark and it bugs the snot out of me!

Sara Jones said...

It's okay Mom, I know you have always questioned my ability to parent.

Katie S. said...

Well done! I am sitting here with tears in my eyes staring at one of my little girls in my arms wondering if I will encounter something similar. Would I be so smart as to recognize it as a perfect opportunity to teach such an important lesson? Thank you for being such a great example! Also, I applaud Aubrey just for trying. Most people, especially adults, won't even "try" something they are scared of. She is more brave than she knows! Besides, isn't it usually the times that we are scared that we need someone else's hands to hold? I'm sure there are times that the boys are scared of something and they need your hand to hold. And I'm sure Aubrey will be a hand to hold for someone someday when they are scared to try something. That's truly when her bravery will shine. She is so special!