Thursday, June 16, 2011

Dane's hilarious melt down


Today Dane didn't nap. Dane is 3 1/2 and REQUIRES a nap. He didn't nap because at nap time he and Nathan were playing super heroes together and when I said it was nap time Nathan looked at me with trembling lips and tearful eyes and said, "Mama, can Dane please rest with me? He is my brother and I want him to be with me." Frankly, I was powerless to do anything but let them "rest" (let's use that word very loosely) together after that heartfelt speech. I might have even given them each a treat just for being precious.

Tonight however Dane was a hot mess. (The term "hot mess" comes from a hilarious friend. You know who you are!) He was weepy. He was irrational. He was flushed and droopy eyed and taking to random fits of quiet sobbing. So deep was his despair that Greg and I couldn't do anything but laugh at his misery. As we put him to bed he lost it completely and made the following wailing proclamations:

"MY BED IS SO BORING! (SOB.) I LIKED IT YESTERDAY BUT TODAY IT IS BORING AND I WANT IT TO NOT BE BORING!"

"There is something wet on my pillow! It might be drool!! (Greg flips his pillow, a vision of fatherly patience.) OH MAN, it's wet again! Daddy, it is the wet things sliding down my face that are making it wet. WHERE IS THE DRY SIDE?!?!?!"

"i ONLY WANT TWO BLANKETS! OH MAN, THEY ARE SCRIBBLY!! (I take one blanket away.) WHY DID YOU TAKE MY BLANKET, WHY ARE YOU MAKING ME COLD???"

"Daddy, will you read another story?" (Greg says no, it is way too late. He deduced this since Dane was asking this while lying on the floor, flapping his arms and crying.) "OH MAN, but I need another story so that I won't forget the story!!"

At this point Aubrey lost it and shouted, "Why are you such a whinie??" Dane screamed, "STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT!!!"

One second later he was asleep.

5 comments:

M Shriver said...

I totally just peed my pants and/or woke up one of my kids laughing outrageously. This is great- and a scene enacted here occasionally, too. :-) We have our share of hot messes.

Unknown said...

Hysterical! It reminds me of some of Grace's meltdowns. I always attribute it to the estrogen combined with a sanguine personality, but perhaps I'm mistaken...

Your banner rocks!

Jules said...

Outrageously funny!!!! I could just picture it and laughed till I cried. That's our Danish.

Angela said...

oh this is good! he comes up with the funniest stuff to say!
ahh 3 year olds, ya just got to love em! :)
by the way that picture of johanna would make AnYONE smile. perhaps you should submit that to some kind of photo contest!

Jules said...

I agree with Angela on that picture of Johanna, it is the most priceless thing ever. The little nose crunch of hers melts my heart.