Friday, November 14, 2008

Surrender

I am conceding the war.

Since the illness monsters entered our home last weekend we have battled runny noses, sore throats, coughs, pink eye, and double ear infections.

Today, nearly a week laster, it's looking worse for the Jones fam.

Aubrey's eyes were fused shut with goo this morning, I have two roaring red eyes, a sore throat, and no voice, and Dane is one sad baby. His nose is a disaster and we finally got him to sleep at 3:30 last night. Dane the lion would roar when ever we tried to lay him down. I'm betting on his ears. Nathan is the only perky one since he's been on a delicious Amoxicillin cocktail since Monday.

So today I am giving up. I have tried to maintain my normal schedule this week. We had to go grocery shopping and I have worked to keep the house looking presentable. I have tried to think up engaging activities and read books. But not today.

The kids know I'm giving up by two things. One, I brought out the Vicks Vapor Rub. I rubbed them all down and while I have no idea if the stuff has any therapeutic value, it has mommy lovin' value. Plus, it signals to the kids that we are SICK.

Secondly, I said, "It's a movie day." Oh, the look in their eyes! This is a unusual thing in our home and their eyes were as happy as Christmas morning. "How many movies?" "Can we have popcorn?" "Can we have hot chocolate?" "I WANT FISHY CRACKERS!" (That was Nathan.) And the answer is yes. To all of it. If you need me today you'll find me lying on a futon mattress that I drug into the family room and we will be watching movies and nothing else.

Surrender sounds so good.

3 comments:

Angela said...

Right on! That is the way to be sick if you ask me, besides the little darlings need their rest and what better way than to sit still in front of a movie (that's the only way my Tyler sits still) Here's hoping that you are all better VERY soon! Take care of everyone especially YOURSELF! love ya!

Simpson's said...

Sounds like it's been a downfall since your birthday. I'm so sorry that evil sickness has taken over the Jones house. Hopefully it will be zapped soon. By the way, thanks again for the invite on your b-day. We had such a great time with everyone! Get better soon!

tara said...

Get well soon, Jones Family!