This morning, while cleaning out our garage, I ran across binders full of old college notes. Pathophysiology, pharmacology, how to convince people with diabetes to take care of themselves so their feet don't fall off, etc. I have saved them all.
Looking through my old notes put me in a funk. I used to think! I used to make witty conversation and intelligent medical remarks! I used to be able to criticize the docs on "E.R." because I could tell when they were wrong! I used to set the curve on tests! I used to make payments on student loans that supported that nursing education!
All of this was said through a fog of tears and self pity while I bemoaned my lack of mental activity to Greg. "I'm turning into one of THEM!" I wailed. "One of those people who only talks about dinosaur shaped chicken nuggets and how many coupons I cut that day. Someday someone will ask the kids what I was like when they were little and they'll say, 'She swept a lot.' "
Which was a premonition. After a day of cleaning the garage, the front steps, the flower beds, I was SWEEPING our kitchen floor for the 1 zillionth time when my back went into a major spasm. I landed on the floor with what felt like back labor and the kids fussed over me asking, "Mommy, what's wrong, what's wrong?!?!" Dane helped by sitting on my head with a poopy diaper. Now, hours later, it is still killing me and always a moment away from spasming. Which is to say, it was a sign that I sweep too often and that I should spend my invalid time reading something brilliant. Now if only I could process something more complex than "Where the Wild Things Are".
Saturday, April 18, 2009
If I only had a brain
Posted by Sara Jones at 7:32 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
First of all, you're doing the hardest job in the world and it takes a VERY intelligent person (people) to raise very intelligent people. Heck, how do you think you got so smart in the first place. :)
And even though you write with such humor that it's hard not to laugh, I am NOT happy about your back. What HAPPENED???? If I passed on my bad back to you along with the worry gene and the absent-minded gene I am not going to be happy. The only thing you will have missed in that event is migraines so I suppose that is coming down the pike. Sheesh. Let me know how you're doing.
In Praise of Stay-at-Home Mom's by Dr. Laura Schlessinger will be mailed to you as soon as I finish it which will be like tonight...it will put your heart right back where it belongs...it might even help your back because you'll have to SIT DOWN to read it:) We all get into those funks for sure, all that really matters is that we evenutally snap out of them! LOVE YA you super parking lot mom you.
I love it! and I feel you...I was just thinking that same thing the other day. I have been trying to read 1776 and I keep putting it down for a "lighter" read. What has happened to the people that loved a mental challenge!? We are wtill smart, right?
Sara dear, I have had back pain and it is the most pain I've ever been in or could ever imagine. I am so sorry. Box your children up and UPS them to me--I'll take care of the for a couple of days while you recup.
I will always think of you as the most intelligent woman I know. I'm not just saying that.
Oh--and I thought you'd like to know that I made Lance buy a big pack-n-play the day after we talked. Ever since then, both girls have slept at the same time every day. In fact, they're both asleep right now. Thank you!
Post a Comment