As you know from my last post, Aubrey got a bike for Easter. It is substantially bigger than her last one. It has brakes (bet you didn't know that tiny kid bikes don't even come with brakes) and Greg set the training wheels so that she feels a lot more wobbling. All this to say that the girl who loves to ride a bike is having to readjust to this new bike. Aubrey's adventuresome spirit ends with putting WAY TOO MUCH milk on her Cheerios so feeling tippy on her bike has been a big time stresser for her.
Which leads me to my point. Yesterday morning we were supposed to meet a friend at the mall play area for kid play time and mommy talk. The night before she called me to tell me that two of her four kids were barfing. Play dates end with barf so that was off.
Side note parenting lesson: NEVER tell you kids in advance about plans because when they fall through or change (which they always seem to do), they won't forget and your life will full of anguish and misery because your kids will be full of anguish and misery at the injustice of broken plans.
When I told Aubrey about the sick kids she instantly started whining. "But I want to go to the mall! It's not fun here! I'm bored!" I told her that the next morning we would either go to the park or the mall, depending on the weather. She seemed satisfied and headed to bed.
Yesterday we awoke to gorgeous blue skies, sunshine, and the promise of a lovely spring day. The park it is! When Aubrey heard this her face fell and she plopped on the floor. "I don't want to go to the park! I want to go to the mall! I hate sunny days and fresh air and fragrant flowers! Besides, all the other kids are getting their nose pierced!" (I am imagining this same conversation ten years down the road.)
After much discussion about gratitude, mommy not having to take her anywhere, and the effect whining has on mommy's mood, I loaded the boys in the wagon and Aubrey got on her bike to head to the park. Beautiful. Tranquil. Fresh and wholesome and lovely. Only interrupted by Aubrey's sighing and whining and grunting about her bike and how "terrifying" it was (yep, that good old Montgomery exaggeration gene already works) and how fast it went. But fresh and wholesome nonetheless.
That is until we were assaulted by a gentle spring breeze. Assaulted I tell you! That darn whisper of wind glided ever so gently over Aubrey's face. It nearly stripped the flesh from her bones! The horror! The anguish! Aubrey gasped, bike swerving erratically as she dipped her head and body away from the miserable gust and she wailed, "MOMMY, I cannot be out in this kind of weather! You have to take me to the mall!"
Greg thinks we need to move to a farm.
Friday, April 17, 2009
What a girl wants, what a girl needs
Posted by Sara Jones at 2:07 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Okay, that gave me a serious case of the giggles. That little girl is hilarious. She is 4 going on 24and I LOVE it! The scary thing is looking into the future and knowing Anna is going to be just like that. :)
I laughed my butt off reading your blog Sara and then had to read it out loud to Dad and could hardly get it out due to my mirth-riddled body going into spasms. HILARIOUS!!!! That daughter of yours just cracks me up. She must have been assaulted by a blast of air as she exited the womb because I have never known a kid like her who has despised the wind from the get-go like she has. I remember taking her for walks in her stroller when she was a baby and her rebelling even then if a butterfly flew past her face and caused an ever-so-slight breeze. Too funny. She is such a girl.
Gosh you better not ever move to the tri cities! She'd never leave her house! :)
I'm with Jenny--I have 2 girls at home.
Post a Comment