Friday, April 24, 2009

Unworthy

This morning the kids and I were rocking out to Brandi Carlisle. (Side note. My friend Mandy invited me to her concert last night and it was one of the best concerts I have ever seen. She performed with the symphony and her voice and song writing were unbelievable. Another story for another day though. Thanks Mandy!) We were being funny, shaking our booties, and going wild. You know, normal everyday Jones stuff.

When the kids started pleading for water we took a break. Aubrey was sitting at the counter and asked out of the blue, "Mommy, do I look like you?" Now, as everyone knows, Aubrey looks like Greg, but I said oh yes, there are lots of things about you that look like me. We both have blond hair, blue eyes, long thin fingers, etc. She smiled but said again, "But do I really LOOK like you?" And I realized what she wanted to know was if she was LIKE me. So again, I said yes, and told her all the ways I thought we were similar in personality. At the end of my list she said, "Give me a high five!", I think because she was so happy that I thought she was like me. She wanted to be like me, not in looks but in person. Whoa.

Good grief. Is there any higher compliment than someone wanting to be like you? And my own kid?? It is an awe inspiring, staggering responsibility that I am so blessed to have. I am truly not worthy of all the ridiculously awesome things in my life.

4 comments:

Jenny said...

So, this brought tears to my eyes. Aubrey is such a sweet girl and she has you and Greg to thank you for it.

It is no surprise that she wants to be like her mommy. You are such a loving, patient and fun mom and Aubrey (and the boys) feel that every day they spend with you. They soak you up like a sponge, and what lucky little kids they are to have you as their mommy.

Such a sweet post...I hope Anna grows up to admire me as well!

Angela said...

How touching! Well I think you are most certainly worthy of that compliment and what a compliment that was. WOW. That is a perfect example of the awesome ways in which our children reward us. Thanks for sharing that moment!

Jules said...

How did I miss this blog when I am a near fanatic about checking them every few minutes. It made me misty too that Aubrey wanted to make sure she as like you. I love that girl (and her little brothers!).

Shone said...

It brought tears to my eyes too. Aubrey is so sweet. ((Just like her mom)))