Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day, part Deux

This year is a Mother's Day for learning lessons.

Mother's Day weekend got off to an auspicious start. Our little Nathan who has been sick with the rest of the kids, really had taken a downward turn the last few days. I took him into the doc yesterday and he was diagnosed with double ear infections and pneumonia. We were nearly admitted to the hospital but escaped to home with antibiotics and a nebulizer.

As we were leaving the doctor said, "Oh, I'm sorry, sick kids on Mother's Day! That won't be much of a break."

At the risk of sounding ridiculously corny, my first thought at that comment was, well, that is what being a mother is about. I am so grateful to be a mom and if I have to spend my Mother's Day mothering then I'll be happy to do it. (With a Starbucks in hand and promises of a bubble bath at some point.) That is after all what the day is about.

Second lesson. I know there are a lot of complaints out our health care system, but we in America are still blessed. In two hours time Nathan was seen by an educated doctor in a clean office, given Motrin, a nebulizer treatment, and two shots of antibiotics. We were then sent to the hospital where he had a chest x-ray with modern equipment and the results were called back to me before I got home. I then went to a pharmacy two minutes from my house and all the meds he needed were there on the shelves and in my hands in about five minutes. Need I say more?

Third second lesson is that family, good family, is of immeasurable worth. My parents were in town to help us put in a vegetable garden and while I was running Nathan all over creation my parents were here helping Greg. The three of them watched the other two kids and managed to put up the frames for the gardens and fill them with yards of dirt carried via wheel barrows. Then Greg's parents showed up with a fully assembled new bbq for us for Greg's birthday and we all feasted on meat. The day ended with two new raised garden beds, a new BBQ, Nathan on meds and under the watchful eye of six loving adults and one doting sister, and full bellies. WITH SICK KIDS! It was noting short of miraculous. THANK YOU FOR FAMILY.

Are you tired of my preaching? Well, sometimes we just need to be reminded of all the awesome blessings we have. I know I need that reminder and I have felt it all weekend long.

3 comments:

Jenny said...

Sara, you are so right and thank you for that reminder. Family is the best thing to have in life and it feels so great to know they are there to lean on or to have fun with. There is no greater love than that for your kids and family!

On that note, I'm so sorry to hear about Nathan. The poor little guy! I really hope that all of the meds help him feel better soon. It's sounds like there is no shortage of love around there and plenty of people to dote on him! Give him a big hug for me!

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY SARA...you rock as a mom!

Jules said...

:( Sara, unfortunately my old eyes can't read your blog with the blue against the brown. WAH!!!

Angela said...

Awesome post Sara! Your attitude just goes to show what a rockstar mom you are! Happy Mother's Day! Get better Nathan!