Friday, June 19, 2009

If you're needy and you know it call a friend

I thought about if I was going to post about this last week at all. Then I decided I would, not to talk about myself but about every other giving person I have in my life. So although it may seem like a story about me it's really about everyone else. Because everyone else is who deserves the blog space and your time.

Let's not beat around the bush. I had a miscarriage this last week. It started a week ago today and finally ended on Wednesday night with a D&C. It was a crummy day that stretched nearly into a week. Please, don't feel out of the loop if you didn't know I was pregnant. We were waiting until my ultrasound this week to spread the news. Sadly, this isn't as fun of news to spread. However, it is behind us and today we are doing well, physically, emotionally, and spiritually. Frankly, if you need a spiritual kick in the butt tell God you need help and see what happens. He knocked my socks off!

Monday our teenage baby-sitter agreed to just sit and be on call for when the doc could get me in. When I called her she was here in 15 minutes and watched the kids for hours.

Tuesday was when the real fun began. My friend Megan Deines not only watched my kids but came to my house, loaded all my car seats so that she could DRIVE ME downtown to my appointment, then take my kids back home with her. This allowed me to not have to drive since I felt like crud but it also let Greg and I come home together since he met me at my appointment.

Wednesday, when I couldn't get a hold of anyone else, my sister KayLynn left work (with her awesome boss's no questions asked permission) and showed up at my house 20 minutes after my phone call. She brought dinner and watched the kids with David and Claire until 5:30. At 5:30 my mother-in-law Marian showed up, coming straight from work and watched the kids until we got home at MIDNIGHT. No hesitation, just showed up and did it.

I have had countless calls from the best of family and the best of friends checking in on me. I have had two phone calls from people I don't know well, who didn't know about my situation, that were EXACTLY what I need to hear at that moment. It's been awesome.

And then about Greg. I have never doubted the devotion and care of that man but he has been a giant among men this last week. He has taken sick days to take care of me and the kids. He has dropped everything at work at a moment's notice to be there for me. He has come to every appointment and held my hand. We cried together at the unhappy ultrasound. He has driven anywhere I asked to get me the exact food I wanted. (Yes, I ate spicy gumbo and a lamb sandwich in the recovery room Wednesday night.) He has surprised me with chocolate which he knows is better than flowers. He has made bad jokes when it was right and stroked my hair when that was better. I hope you have a guy like Greg. He enhances every part of my life. And if he ever reads this his head will explode from the sheer growth of his ego.

It's cool how life works. I wouldn't have chose to miscarry. However, we have seen God's love through every individual that cared for us and that is a gift in itself. Plus, I take great comfort in knowing that while I didn't meet the baby I was carrying, God sure has because he "knit me together in my mother's womb." At the end of the week, I can look back and say that we are happier and stronger for it all. Thanks to EVERYONE who makes that statement true!!!!!

p.s. Cat's out of the bag too I suppose. Yes, we are trying for a fourth. Stay tuned, there are more Jones babies yet to come!

7 comments:

Jules said...

Powerful message Sara. I cried through the whole thing. Sometimes they were happy tears, sometimes they were sad. But you're right, you can always find the silver lining in any situation. I love you all and I've never doubted for a second that we've been blessed with the best sons a mother could ever want. And yes, they are my sons.

Angela said...

I am with Julie, no dry eyes here either. Sara you handled this all with such grace. Isn't is amazing how you can see good in every situation. I am thrilled to hear that all your friends and family were there for you because we all know that you and Greg would have done the same!(and HAVE done the same) As always, you are all in our thoughts and prayers. Have a wonderful weekend.

Jenny said...

I agree Sara...we are here for you because you've been there for us. Isn't it wonderful having those people in your life? I thank God every day for mine. :)

I was happy to hear your upbeat outlook when we talked today...hope you enjoyed every last drop of your Starbucks! We love you Sara!

Unknown said...

Oh, sweetie. My heart hurts for you, yet I am so encouraged by your faith and hope. You're an amazing woman, and I can't wait to meet more Jones babies. (You're the one who used the plural form. Not me. :)

Cyndy said...

Hi Sara, just a quick note to say Hi and that I'm thinking of you. You're a beautiful person inside and out. Only good things should happen to you but we all are tested sometime in our lives and this will make you stronger. Hugs, Cyndy (Mandy's mom)

Diane said...

Sara,
God Bless you for your strength!
You are a survivor...we're thinking of you and your family,
Love,...Diane/Doug

Erin said...

I'm so very sorry Sara. Aren't great family and friends amazing! I remember when I miscarried, the following Sunday the pastor gave a message on loss which really was a blessing for Brian and I....God sure does work in mysterious ways huh?! I'll be thinking of you as you heal and look forward to hearing about a new Jones baby someday! :)