Wednesday, June 3, 2009

A new way to shop

I haven't been mentioning my latest obsession because quite frankly, I can't imagine people really care. Today however my coupon shopping has taken me to a level that is just too good to pass up.



Using a combination of manufacturer coupons, doubler coupons that Albertsons puts out occasionally, and a promotion Albertsons was having (buy $10 worth of participating products and get $3.00 off automatically) I bought everything you see above for $2.49. Go ahead, take a second look. I DID buy two extra newspapers for the extra coupons in it so you can add $1.00 to that total. Still, the hot dogs alone were $4.00 full price. I figure $3.49 is still a respectable total. My total savings was $75.92.

I have seen posts like this before and thought, sure, that's great, but how do you feed a family on BBQ sauce and pudding? The more you do it though the more you realize you are just stock piling things for future meals. Pudding goes in a fruit salad I make. BBQ sauce for pulled pork and chicken. Thousand Island Salad dressing for our favorite taco salad. Boca burgers and hot dogs because it's summer! (With those two things I figure I can feed our family for around $2.00 for the meal. Not per person, the whole meal.) That way next time we have a hankering to BBQ I already have everything, it was ridiculously cheap, and there is no last minute grocery shopping to be done.

Coupons have changed the way I shop. They have halved out grocery bill and I'm getting way more stuff. You pay with your time but I figure as a stay at home mom it's a way I can financially contribute to our family. Plus, it's fun and addicting!

p.s. If you want to get information about local deals, go to www.frugalchicliving.blogspot.com. This is a Liberty Lake gal with three little boys who will do about 90% of the leg work for you. She is my new personal hero. I also have her button on my side bar.

6 comments:

Jules said...

I bow down to you and even though I have always prided myself on being a shopper extraordinaire you have definitely taken it to a new level and have me newly addicted as well. I have been calling friends and neighbors for their double coupons and have printed off a million coupons on-line while I wait. It really doesn't suck getting things for free does it.

Carrie McCoy said...

About 2 months ago, I decided that I was going to be a "thrifty" shopper and cut coupons, etc. When I started doing it, I realized that it wasn't worth it for us, because a lot of the coupons foods are "boxed" foods that we don't typically eat. And, I felt like I would be buying stuff that I dind't typically buy so I would still be spending the same. Why can't they do coupons for fresh produce, dairy, or meat?
Wel, you have inspired me to give it another try!

Sara Jones said...

Carrie, I agree with you that a lot of stuff isn't what I would feed our family. I can honestly say that I'm not feeding us any differently though, I'm just planning a lot more. Better menu making, using what I have, and keeping my eye on things I want. There are SO MANY yogurt coupons out there, good healthy cereal, the Boca Burgers I bought, health and beauty items, etc., that I do think it's worth it. I have found that most of my extra budget is spent on produce, dairy, etc., and that the bargain shopping fills in the misc. menu items that I used to pay top dollar for. It might not be right for everyone but I do think we pretty healthy and cheaply now!

Carrie McCoy said...

Interesting enough, I am just getting to read yesterdays paper and I see the Albertsons deal you mentioned. I am definitely interested in it!
My question for you...did you do it at night when Greg was home? I am usually having to speed through grocery store aisles so that my girls don't lose it before I am done! If I can go by myself, I think it would be more productive!

Carrie McCoy said...

Also, I have the "doubler coupons" as well, but how exactly does it work and what does it work on?

Unknown said...

Isn't it addicting? Although I do have to admit I was much more gung-ho in the beginning, and it became a little wearying. Now I'm better at identifying what deals are worth pursuing based on my current needs and schedule.

My friend Sheila lives in CDA and has a great blog for local (and online) deals as well. http://nwdealseeker.blogspot.com/