Saturday, December 12, 2009

Tea for two (or four)


After receiving a darling homemade apron and a book on tea parties from Auntie KayLynn, Aubrey knew she needed a tea party. We called three of her friends, set a date, and prepared. We planned a menu, decorations, and what to wear. (We're girls, the clothing was essential.) Nathan and Dane were going to have a date with their daddy and it would just be little girls and their mamas.

Aubrey was in heaven but I WAS IN HEAVEN. These are the sort of things I dreamed about when I thought of having kids. The party was set at 4:00 on Friday. Around 2:00, while the boys napped, Aubrey and I put on our aprons and got busy in the kitchen. Women's lib, eat your heart out! We were the picture of female domesticity and lovin' every minute of it.

The party was a great success and every little girl whined when they had to leave. Aubrey wants to know when the next one will be. Sometimes I wonder if my heart can take this motherhood stuff. It can jut be so good.



Aubrey made the place mats, picked out the cups and plates, and set the table herself.
Kid tea party version of jelly rolls: Wonder bread, slathered with raspberry jam, no crusts.
Waiting, waiting, waiting for her guests.
The party goers, who consequently had impeccable manners and beautiful tea party attire.
Sara the hostess. I wore the only thing in my closet that was dressy and fit over my stomach.
Aubrey's first hostess gift: a beautiful poinsettia from her friend Sarah.
The boys getting the heck away from the estrogen and lace. (Fine, they didn't want to go but I promised them ice cream sundaes upon their return. Rumor has it they they weren't treated too badly on their daddy date.)


The Guests
Sarah
Jillian
Jorja



Me, the master sundae mixologist. Yes, we at these at about 5:00 p.m. and I considered it dinner. Hey, we first had lemonade and meat and cheese and crackers. The quote of the night was from Jillian. "Hey, it's good that we are eating these (meat tray food) first. They are healthy. Then we can have the treats. I try to eat from all five food groups. Except dairy. I don't drink milk! But I do make an exception for ice cream!"

The tea party was a smashing success. Auntie KayLynn, thank you for inspiring such a memorable, special evening.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Adorable! I can't wait until Gracie's old enough to have friends over for a tea party.

And that quote from Jillian is hilarious. Does she have a wee bit of her mommy in her, or what? :)

Brittany said...

Great idea--I'm going to copy! Looks like so much fun.

KayLynn said...

Glad to be in the inspiration but I think the thanks all go to you. Looks like it was a blast!

Jenny said...

Sara, what a sweet thing to do with your daughter. I too can't wait till Anna is old enough to do these things with! It looks like it was a great time and I just can't believe how big and grown up Aubrey is looking these days. She's so beautiful!

Angela said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! That is just awesome, everything about it! Very very cool.

Erin said...

So much fun! I want to be invited next time!...I know, I know....I live 2 hours away and have a son. I'll be hosting cowboy and indian events (but I'll love every minute I'm sure). :)

Jules said...

This is even cuter and sweeter than I imagined. I know this will come as a complete shock to you but it made me misty. The best part of all was Aubrey's call to us spilling exuberance all over the place about the tea party. What a good mommy!

Diane said...

Sara, I heard rumors about a nomination for "Mommy of the Year" in Liberty Lake!! Sweet