As many of you know, we have a cat, Tika. Tika fancies herself to be a mighty hunter, all 9 tailless pounds of her. Many a bird has met their demise at the hands (or paws) of her stalking.
Yesterday I came into the house holding a baby who had just blown out her diaper through either pant leg, necessitating an outfit change for both of us. As I started down the hall I saw feather. EVERYWHERE. Knowing where this was headed I followed the trail of feathers into the bathroom. There, trembling in fright, was a teeny tiny bird.
Before I could think what to do my other three kiddos came in to see how the poop disaster was turning out. What they found was a tiny bird. Delighted mayhem ensued. "Mommy, it's a BIRDY!!!" "CAN I TOUCH IT CAN I POKE IT CAN I HOLD IT???" Aubrey barked orders: "LEAVE IT ALONE! NATHAN, YOU'RE TOO CLOSE, IT'LL GET YOU SICK. DANE, GET AWAY FROM THERE!!"
I did was any reasonable wife would do. I continued to hold poopy baby and called Greg.
"Catch it with a towel and put it outside and lock Tika inside." Hmmm, wonder why I couldn't think of that on my own. Could it be the poop on my shirt?
So we did that. Caught the terrified birdy, who clearly had a broken wing, and hid it outside in a bush. I locked Tika inside and congratulated myself on handling the situation. I changed my poor poopy baby and myself. Good work Sara.
Good work that is until an hour later, after one of the kids had left the back door open, that I see THE SAME BIRD HOPPING IN THE KITCHEN!! Tika had recaught it and brought it back inside. This time however the bird wasn't as stunned and hopped and tried to fly away every time I got close to it. Aubrey and I managed to get it to hop out our front door and hide in a bush out there. This time however I didn't even know where TIka was and kind of wished she would just finish the poor bird off, rather than taunting it all day. I thought of a devotion I read that day on finding joy at home and laughed to myself.
The laughing stopped when a couple of hours later TIKA BROUGHT THAT SAME DANG BIRD BACK INTO THE HOUSE!!!! Yes, I am serious. ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? Of course Greg was going to be home late that night and quite frankly I was tired of catching wildlife. So, I just let the bird hang out. This time I locked Tika outside and let the bird wander the house. She (the bird had pretty feathers so obviously was female) made her way downstairs and the kids had a grand time keeping track of her. When Greg got home he caught the bird for THE THIRD TIME (it was hiding in a dress up dress) and took her two houses down and put her up high in a bush. The last time we saw her Tika was wandering our yard, mewing, and lurking suspiciously close to the house where we had brought the bird.
We have not seen the bird today. I think she might have made it to the happy hunting grounds.
Tuesday, August 31, 2010
THE BIRDS, or alternately titled, BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING ELSE TO DO
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Poor little birdie. Stupid cat.
FUNNY FUNNY story. My kids will enjoy hearing part 2 and 3 that the bird was back AGAIN and AGAIN! :) Funny post! :)
Unbelievable story! Seriously, of all families I know, your family is the perfect family to picture going through such a fiasco -- no one else would have handled it as well! Glad to hear the bird has not returned a 4th time!
Little Johanna's cute. Hope you've gotten my messages, I've been trying to call!
Sometimes I wonder why God created filth-bags (cats), why Noah allowed them in the ark, and why modern humans keep them as pets instead of showering them with the insults and humiliation that they deserve. That being said, the bird was gorgeous... I wish your disease-carrier hadn't broken its wing.
Oh my gosh how David can crack me up!!!
I don't know who Avi is, but they rock! :)
Avi is David without the D's. It's difficult to come up with a good nickname for David, because "Dave" is reserved for bald, rotund men with mustaches.
It's also been shortened to A-6, because VI is the roman numeral for six.
David you are HILARIOUS!!!!
Post a Comment