I know, a new post without any pictures. I promise to be a better mom on the next post. For now though, I am here to discuss the fact that I am a lemming. I joined the pack and dove off the cliff. Why? Because everyone else was doing it.
We circumcised Nathan and it was not a good experience. They let me go back during the procedure which was a bad idea. He screamed the entire time and I cried. It's one thing to inflict pain on your kid, you know, so they don't die of some awful disease, but it's a whole other thing to do it because a lot of other people are doing it. Unfortunately, Greg and I didn't feel like 2/3 of the men in the house should be circumcised so off I went again today, to inflict the same pointless procedure on Dane. And he handled it about as well as Nathan did. Which is to say that he screamed and screamed and screamed and has cried during all wakeful periods today. If I had it to do all over again I wouldn't do it at all. I mean, seriously, what is the point? According to recent studies, only about 50%of boys are currently circumcised and that number is even smaller in western US. So there goes the whole "different in the locker room " theory. And, no health benefits. So, no perks and my sweet boy, crying and crying all day long...
I think I'm done having kids, just so we don't run the risk of having another boy that we feel obligated to circumcise. A lemming I tell you, a lemming.
2 comments:
Sara~
I am glad that I am not in your situation and that I have just 2 girls. However, if I did have a boy, I think I would do the same thing as you and just have it done because "thats just what you do with boys." Just remember that Nathan forgot about it, just like little Dane will also! You are a great mom!
Ok, I feel a little weird about leaving this comment under your circumcision post, but oh well. :) Dane is such a gentle, sweet looking baby. And, so big! What a relief that his feet issues are relatively minor. I'm so very happy for the Jones Five!
How's family life adjusting? Every time I get ready to call I'm so nervous that it'll be a bad time between caring for your 2 active ones and the baby. Please know I care and think about your family very often.
I can't wait to meet Dane!
Post a Comment