We had a GREAT appointment at Shriner's today. First, a plug for Shriner's. They were remarkable. The friendliest staff, the most child oriented facility I have ever been, the most comprehensive health care team. It was incredible. If you need a charity to donate to, think of them.
But onto our boy. When the doc came in he said that his feet looked like clubbed feet. Once he started manipulating them though he said they felt nothing like clubbed feet. They have good range of motion, flexibility, a perfectly developed heel (we learned that clubbed feet often have an under developed heel bone) and moving them wasn't painful to Dane. He told us that the position was almost certainly positional from the way Dane was lying in utero. So, no casts! We had a consultation with a PT who spent a half an hour going over several different exercises we have to do for Dane. They help to relax his heel and Achilles tendon and gently encourage his feet to turn out. The exercises take about 20 minutes to do on both feet and we have to do them 3-5 times a day so it is time consuming, but obviously worth it. We go back in two weeks to have them reevaluated but the doc said it was as mild of a case as they come. They score club feet on a scale from 0-20, 20 being the worst. They gave Dane's feet a 2. We were so pleased, this should be a very painless, easy fix.
Thanks for all the prayers, they sure were answered!
Friday, January 25, 2008
Club feet?? Not me!
Posted by Sara Jones at 10:18 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Sara, that is such great news! I talked to your mom yesterday while you were napping and I was so relieved by everything she told me! What a reason to celebrate! I could not be happier for you guys and for little Dane! Congrats on the wonderful news!!!! Talk to you soon.
This is absolutely great news! What a relief. And, think of what a great masseuse you'll become. I'm sure Greg will start complaining of sore feet a little more often now. ;-)
I'm so delighted. What great news! Yes indeed, prayers are answered.
Post a Comment