Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Project Fatten Dane

Dane had his 6 month check up on Tuesday. He passed length (almost 27 inches), development (yeah for the sitting, rolling, grabbing machine) but flunked his weight. At 4 months he was 15 lbs. 7 oz. and he was only 16 pounds 2 oz. on Friday. I knew he wasn't a chunky baby but I really wasn't expecting that. He is happy, eats well, is enjoying the solids that I'm introducing, and seems perfectly healthy. Yet....

His weight percentile has dropped since his 2 month appointment. This happened with Aubrey and Nathan (they were chubby babies but not chubby kids) but evened out around the 40th percentile. Dane dropped to that at his 4 month appointment but was barely at the 10th percentile yesterday.

So, I feet like a lame-o mom. As though I haven't been feeding the kid or I've been putting him on a strict vegan/water diet at 6 months of age. Or I'm making non fat milk instead of good healthy cream. The doc asked if he spits up a lot (YES) and sent us in for an ultrasound to look for pyloric stenosis (problem with the valve separating the stomach from the small intestines.) We did that today and he looks fine. Why is he not gaining weight then? We are attributing some of it to the constant spitting up and the doc put him on a reflux med. I'm also supposed to be feeding him at a near frantic pace it seems, alternating nursing and solids all day until he is pleasingly plump, or at least pleasing. Yet, don't get his stomach too full because this exacerbates reflux. But keep him full. But not too full. Like I don't have enough to do without worrying about the delicate full but not too full balance to strike with my poor starving baby.

Why is this so hard not to take personally? I suppose because as a mother of a baby I have one specific job: to attend to his physical needs. You know, eating, sleeping, changing poop, snuggling, etc. How hard can that be? Apparently harder than I expected because right now he's cruising towards being a jockey someday, or a featherweight boxer, or a poker for the fire. The plus side is that he looks healthy. He is a moving, grabbing, squealing, smiling, snuggling, EATING delight and that is a comfort. Wouldn't he be crabby and screaming if he was always hungry? In the meantime I will spend all my spare minutes (you know, those 2 minutes from 9:00-9:02 p.m.) researching high calorie food sources that will keep him just right full. Can you say avocados anyone?

He has a weight check in 6 weeks. Wish us happy fattening!

6 comments:

Jenny said...

Sara, I didn't mean to laugh at your post but your description of what your son has in his future made me giggle...I promise Dane does not have a budding career as a jockey in his future. Mainly because he will be too tall! :)

I'm sorry that Dane is on the small side. I know it's hard not to, but don't take it personally. You are a fantastic mom and I know you do not starve your children. I think it has to do with the fact that he's so darn active! His legs are going contantly all the time, plus he started rolling over kind of early and hasn't stopped since. Between all that activity and his spitting up, that probably is the culprit.

Good luck with the fattening up!Anna said she would let Dane have some of my frozen milk if you want...apparently it's pure cream. Let me know. :)

Angela said...

Sara Sara Sara, you CAN'T take this personally! I know that is easier said than done BUT, re read your paragraph about how he is THRIVING and HAPPY! You know that if he was hungry he would not be a content baby like he is. So he's on the skinny side...I think he was genetically prone to that one! I am sure you will have him fattened up in no time at all! Just remember you are his mom and no one knows him better than you...you know if he is happy or not...keep listening to your mommy instincts on this one!!! Love ya!

Jenny, I produce pure cream milk as well...what is up with that? I would like to see a study done on breastmilk and the fat content of various women's milk! I could start a whole conversation on this...but some people might be grossed out so I won't! :-)

Sara Jones said...

Sara, all my grandchildren are positively perfect and I don't care what some overzealous doctor says. Harumph! Dane would NOT be happy if he was hungry. KayLynn weighed 19 lbs. at a year old so some babies are big and some babies are small. Dane will soon be eating you out of house and home and you'll be wondering how you can afford to keep him. Tell him granny loves him and doctors are stupid.

KayLynn said...

(David, not KayLynn...again)
As current featherweight fire poker champion of the world, I can attest to the fact that it doesn't matter what he weighs. For instance, his slight build will become quite handy in upcoming years when Nathan & the Lobster want to play "boogah"...all he'll have to do is turn sideways.
But don't let him go jogging alone...once I fell through a crack in the sidewalk and was stuck in the crevasse for six days until a passing labradoodle retrieved me, thinking I was a bone. I only escaped after beating the poor puppy in the tie-breaking round of one wicked-intense game of yahtzee. But that's another story...
Anywho, so long as Dane is happy, who cares if he's DANE-gerously thin? I am & I love it! Just tell him "it's not the size that counts, it's how you use it!" Only please apply that to his thinness...he doesn't need to start having a complex at such a young age.

Jules said...

Hmmmm, this is Julie/Mom again, why did my comment say "Sara Jones said"?

Jules said...

And oh my gosh, David's comment was HILARIOUS!