Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Dane, one week post Operation Fractured Arm

Have you been around Dane this last week? I mean, if you haven't then just imagine an active 1 1/2 year old. Then picture him with a cast. And poor balance. And no sense of self preservation. Imagine his parents following him around with outstretched arms, trying to keep him from falling for the 18th (by 18 I mean 18 THOUSAND) time that day. Imagine me wishing his cast was made of titanium or the stuff Wolverine's skewer claws are made of.

We had a follow up today and it was okay. His original break had the bones displaced at a 20 degree angle. They set it to zero degrees. Today on x-ray it measured 7 degrees displaced. This could have happened because kid bones are pliable and slippery and take the easiest way out by trying to revert to the broken position. Or it could happen because Dane still is trying to go down the slide head first. Either way the doc decided not to replace his splint because he was afraid of moving the bone anymore. However, he wasn't worried enough about the displacement to warrant resetting it. So, Dane is stuck in his stinky finger paint colored splint for two more weeks at which point, if the bones are set enough, they will replace with a short, below the elbow cast, for a week or two.

I have decided that it will require heavy drinking and sedatives to slow that kid down. Since I only like to use those in emergencies I'm settling for frantically chasing him around and using the drinking and sedatives for myself.

2 comments:

Jules said...

I meant to call you all day yesterday to find out how the appt. went. If anybody thinks you're a filthy liar about Dane being semi-suicidal tell the to call me and I'll vouch for the fact. I nearly had a stroke just being around him for a few hours so I can't even imagine chasing that ball of energy for two more weeks.

I still have Valium left from my M.R.I. if you need any and I know Hannah described me post valiums so yes, the DO work, I'm just barely starting to come off that high.

Angela said...

Oh man! Not exactly what you wanted to hear from the doc I am assuming. Hopefully for everyone's sake the next two weeks will go by quickly! I cannot imagine the stress of chasing him around, that sounds sucky.
Get better soon Dane!