Friday, September 4, 2009

Pick me ups

What do you like best when you're feeling down?

(p.s. You don't have to say the right thing here. Even if saying, "looking into the eyes of my children" is the right thing to say, actually saying "a bag of chocolate and a Long Island Iced Tea" is what we're really looking for here. But sometimes looking into the eyes of your children is what makes you feel better, and that's okay too. But it's okay if sometimes it doesn't. Got it?)

This is what I like.

Tapioca pudding. If I'm feeling extra bummed I make it with whole milk instead of non fat. Or a mix of both if I'm middle of the road bummed. How is that I Love This Stuff when it's like eating fish eggs?

A comfort movie. The kind of movie you have watched 1000 times and will watch that many more times. Some of my comfort movies are "When Harry Met Sally", "Little Women", the Anne of Green Gables trilogy, most episodes of "Arrested Development", "Juno", and "Notting Hill". Among others I'm sure.

Taking a nap. A long, uninterrupted nap. With a down pillow and two blankets. In a room with a little white noise but not another sound. And the phone never rings and there is never an alarm clock.

Greg's snuggles. They are unmatched.

Grande, soy, no water, chai.

A Bible verse about grace or love or forgiveness or healing.

My grandparent's home, doing nothing.

Reading a can't-d0-another-thing-with-my-life-until-I-finish-this-book book.

Sitting in a chair at Barnes and Noble for hours, reading most any book off the "must read for school" table. It's where all the classics are.

A phone conversation with that person who always knows the right thing to say and the right time to not say anything.

And, in all truth, looking into my children's eyes.

6 comments:

Avi said...

I like to try to build something...like an end table, or a crap-tacular painting, or even some sort of poetic writing. Being constructive helps get me out of a funk. Usually a few dozen of my favorite beers help as well (you just can't beat a good Carlsberg).
If that doesn't work, I can always talk to my best friends (also known as "Nard Dog" and "Claire-Bear"). My family is the best pick-me-up in the universe.

KayLynn just bottles up her emotions as much as possible until it all boils over in an uncontrollable fit of narcissistic rage.

Avi said...

Avi is a liar. That is NOT what I do. (And yes, Nard-Dog is me. That, of all the different, endearing nicknames in this world, is the one I've been saddled with.) Anyway...

A couple of pieces of dark chocolate with coffee is such a yummy combo. Definitely have to agree with the comfort movie but you forgot "with popcorn". Eating ice cream on Mom and Dad's couch is always therapeutic. Hearing Claire laugh heals the heart (although, darn it if I know what to do to make her laugh. I'll do my best goof-ball song and dance and get a bored expression and then the next minute with my meanest "I'm serious" look, tell her NO-NO for pulling out all the wipes and she giggles with delight at the look on my face.) Oh, another thing that's always fun is to read something someone published in some minor publication (like these newsletters Gonzaga used to put out) and critique all the bad grammar with a bright red pen. So smug I know, but oh so fun. I love going for walks too. Sweat out the funk. Watching cooking shows on TV. Reading mindless magazines like "People". And/or reading the celebrity gossip pages from MSN. Waste of time yes, but you feel again so smug that you're not as lame as these idiots who ruin their lives because they're rich and famous. And, who am I kidding, I'm actually interested in what these lame-os are doing these days. Tea is always calming while listening to Brad Paisley sing "Then". Hot baths with candles. Baking cookies (but make someone else do the dishes). Have Lianna tell you a story because she's so good at it and you're guaranteed a laugh. Look at David after getting dressed up for something and think, "My-oh-my, my husband is the HOTTEST". Sit outside on a nice evening and paint your toenails. Better yet if you have a sister sitting outside with you. Have Hannah do your makeup for you. Eat dinner at Sara's house and feel like you're at home. WATCH CLAIRE TAKE 3 STEPS WHICH SHE JUST DID RIGHT NOW BEFORE MY VERY EYES! Read about places to visit in Granada to help me remember it. These, among other things, help forget sadness. I wish I could give you a hug sis. Have a wonderful weekend! I love you muchisimo!!!!

Jules said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Angela said...

First thing that comes to mind is...FOOD! :) Anything chocolate loaded with calories will do. Coffee is a great one to pair with that.(preferrably starbucks) Some nachos and a margarita also come to mind.
Talking to one of my best friends would be pretty high on the list.
Shopping for sure.(preferrably with one of those friends and someone else's money to spend)
A pedicure or pampering of some sort.
A good cry. I don't cry very often at all. So, I must be one of those who builds it all up:) Usually I just need like about 10 mins, you know like a good hard freak out cry...then I am done and my perspective tends to change some.
I just can't leave out my kids here because while they are sometimes the reason I need the pick me up...they always make me smile.

tara said...

I am glad that I don't have many days when I'm feeling down, and it's a good thing because I definitely don't have any sure-fire cures.
I typically feel sorry for myself (an internal pity party) and find lame reasons to nag at Mike so that he gets a clue real quick that I'm not in a great mood.
If I've skipped the whining/nagging at Mike, then he'll usually oblige me by getting a comfy pillow/blanket so that I can lay down and relax (while watching reality tv). And then I'll ask to have my neck pack heated up, and for good measure I'll request that he take care of making the upcoming meal.

Unknown said...

Okay, I'm quickly catching up on your blog after approximately 5,000 years, but I just have to say that I am your most kindred spirit with the tapioca. Homemade with the beaten-to-stiff-peaks egg white & sugar mixture folded in, just like my gramma used to make. Mmmmm.... :)