I am looking to hear parent opinion on school fundraisers.
Aubrey just brought home a packet, highlighting the four fundraisers the PTA is sponsoring during this school year. One is a wreath sale, one is for various home products, one is world's finest chocolate, and one is a parent/staff b-ball game against another school.
The form that came home with it encourages participation but also gives you an opt out portion. If you opt out of fundraisers you are "given the opportunity" to send a check for x number of dollars. All funds raised go toward field trips and school assemblies.
Here's my opinion. I hated fundraising when I was in school and I dislike it now. I am not comfortable asking the same friends and family over and over again to buy very expensive candles and chocolate. People feel obligated and many aren't in a financial position to be spending $20 on a candle. I refuse to go door to door. I also have four kids. Five years from now I will be asking my parents to buy four wreaths for one million dollars each for every single year. Nope, not in this life time.
I have a friend whose school has a fun run to raise money. Like the above mentioned basketball game, this feels better. People can donate whatever amount they want, it's a family event, it's exercise, and it's fun. Begging aunties to spend $$$ on candles is not fun.
We are going to opt out of the fundraisers this year and send a check to cover what I see as Aubrey's portion of field trips and assemblies. I want the school to have these things and I'd way rather go this route.
Here's my questions. What do you think about fundraising? Am I depriving Aubrey and my other kids of an important value by not having them participate? Is there some greater good I'm missing out on my cutting a check?
p.s. As you may have guessed, I would make a poor PTA president.
Monday, October 25, 2010
Fundraisers
Posted by Greg Jones at 1:35 PM
Labels: fundraisers
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I hate fund raising too. I think I have more fun with it at my kids' school because I believe more in what the money is going towards. We are asked to pay an assembly fee at the beginning of the year, and we're asked to pay for every field trip. Each fundraiser has a different purpose. My kids are selling coupon books right now. The money goes to their playground - which is fun for them. They do a big auction in the spring that goes towards the arts and humanities programs, which I wholeheartedly believe in.
I like the coupon book thing because it is something that people can buy to save themselves money, and it is coupons for all local businesses.
But, we are in a different place right now. I have fun watching my kids go door to door, and watching them give their pitch, interact with adults, and build their confidence. BUT I don't have to tote babies along anymore either. That is a whole different ball game.
If I were you, I'd opt out too!
I hated, loathed, despised, detested, deplored, and downright didn't like fundraisers for the same reason you don't Sara. You ask the same people over and over and over again to pay way over-priced stuff. More times than not I just ended up buying a lot of over-priced stuff and then just gave it away as gifts so it didn't take me long to realize I'd rather just pay my way. That's the route we took most of the time. There were certain things we didn't mind but most of the time I detested it. I didn't like the door-to-door thing one little bit but bugging the same people all the time was a drag too.
I was far happier doing a bake sale and contributing to that or working someplace to help defray costs but the selling aspect was annoying.
At Hannah's school they don't do fundraising but instead a big Spring Auction to raise all the necessary funds for the following year. It definitely is nice to not ask people for money. I had mixed feelings a couple of weeks ago when I was asked to help my niece (the only 1 in school out of the 4). I ended up doing it, but I struggled with wanting to give HER the money, rather than buy a couple overpriced items. But she's in a school very similar to Hannah, and in Colorado. So this Auntie doesn't get to do a whole lot for them. I do wonder, though how willing I would be to give once all 4 nieces are in school, plus my own 2. Wouldn't it be nice to have our money grow on trees??? ;)
Oops, and one last thing, I'll be happy to buy whatever my grandkids are selling! Don't be afraid to ask, I'll ever say no.
Post a Comment