Saturday, October 16, 2010

When things go south

Greg and I both wanted/needed new cell phones. Mine was dead, his was mostly dead.

Our cell phone outing included all the kiddos, a change in cell phone provider, and picking out two new phones. NOT QUICK.

I ended up back in the van with the kids, feeding Johanna, while Greg wrapped things up. Which took an hour. No exaggeration.

During this hour Dane wet his pants and Johanna blew out her clothes. Plus I was stuck in the car for an hour with the kids.

On the way home Dane begged to hold my new phone and push some buttons. I put it on a program where he could do this. While happily pushing buttons he wet his pants again, getting urine all over my brand new phone.

I needed a chai tea. I got a chai tea.

We got home and while trying to carry in my purse/diaper bag/duffle bag and a baby carrier with a baby and my pee covered phone I spilled my tea.

It was dinner and bath time. I bathed Johanna. After her bath, while wrapped in a towel, she SPRAYED poop all over the floor. It was on my shirts, pants, all down her, and in puddles on the floor. While Greg ran to my aid she began round two. More on us, more on the floor. I whisked her to a towel on the floor to clean her up and DIAPER THE KID. She loves to play with her feet. She cocked her feet back, aimed, and fired round three.

I stood in my underwear starting a load of laundry that included three towels, my sweatshirt and jeans, and other various casualties of the great poop of 2010.

Johanna has a nasty cold and I haven't slept in days.

I must be in need of humbling today because I have been covered in bodily fluids for the past five hours. Lesson learned. I am a humbled mommy servant who is not too cool or wearing clothes too nice to be covered in baby poop.

I jokingly told Johanna that she had earned herself 100 demerits. Nathan looked stricken and said, "NO SHE DIDN'T MOMMY, IT WAS AN ACCIDENT!!!!!!"

Folks, it's time for bed.

5 comments:

Jules said...

I can't help how funny I think it is that Nathan HATES it when you give Johanna demerits, it makes me laugh every time. I also thought it was hilarious when you called me to relate the big poop catastrophe and Nathan was delighted that you were talking to me in your underwear, after you had to strip off your soiled clothes. It made me so happy that I was home, wrapped in my favorite snuggle blanket, watching movies AND finishing off a bag of chocolate-covered peanuts. So much better than dealing with a lot of poop I think.

Anonymous said...

Oh boy! Sounds like one of those typical mother of four kind of days. For me, the part that would have putting me over the edge would have been spilling my chai! Hope today goes much better!

Unknown said...

I promise I didn't laugh once while reading this post.

And I lie.

I'm not the Holy Spirit (I'm back to telling the truth), so I don't know if you needed humbling, but I think sometimes God allows these out-of-control kinds of days as an opportunity for our children to watch and learn from how we react to them.

I know you're not perfect, but I'm guessing they saw a lot of humor and graciousness along with the frustration. :)

Brittany said...

Sara dear, what an experience. I can imagine it perfectly because I have had many similar days and I'm sure I'll have many more! Thanks for seeing the humor in everything, maybe just maybe I will the next time it happens to me.

Angela said...

ahh yes life with small children. Got to love it!
really when you have days like that you are either gonna laugh or cry...so why not laugh eh? You are so funny. I did laugh many times while reading this post...not at you of course...but at your funny story telling abilites.
Max isn't sleeping either...what are we going to DO with these children!
oh and WHY is it that most EVERY crazy moment as a mother MUST involve a bodily fluid of some kind?