Tuesday, December 16, 2008

10 years, simmered to perfection

This Thursday, December 18, marks the 10 year anniversary of Greg's and my first date. Greg stole my heart that day by baking cookies, watching Christmas movies, and trying nothing more than a tentative hand on my knee.

After that, we moved fast. You know, in a chaste emotional way. Sheesh. This is a family blog. We first talked about getting married the following February, got engaged in September, and were married the following August 5, 2000. I was only 20 when I got married but it didn't seem imprudent to me then and it still doesn't today. I'm not a girl to over think a decision and when I met him I just KNEW he couldn't live without me. Or me without him for that matter. :-)

Here's my question to you. What was the time line with you and your spouse? Were you the slow simmering type, taking years to make sure, or did you dive in head first, with a prayer and a kiss? How old were you when you got married?

I'd love to hear the responses. All you no comment blog lurkers, this means you!

9 comments:

Angela said...

Of course I will comment on this because we were married the same day as you after all! Justin and I knew of each other when we were very young, like kindergarten. We hung out in the same group of friends in highschool and were on the track team together. The summer after our Junior year (1997) we started dating. We were engaged by the summer of 1999 and married the summer of 2000. I too was only 20 (and barely, only by 2 weeks! )so even though we did date for a few years I wouldn't put us in the slow category because we pretty much married each other as soon as we could. (with 2 years of college left to go even!) I can honestly say it was the best decision I could have ever made, I am very happily married to my best friend and I think our entire marriage this far has been full of happiness. :):):):)

KayLynn said...

I will comment on this too, even though you think that you know how it went down between KayLynn & I. The truth is that I sent out a spy named Rebecca to find the perfect match. When she reported that she had found a girl with one leg that is 1.5" shorter than the other, I was sold. I saw KayLynn @ Rebecca's wedding shower and spent about ten minutes flirting with her. A month later I walked her down the aisle at Rebecca's wedding. It was at that point that I decided that I would marry her. It took me almost seven months (Sept-Apr) to convince her to be my girlfriend...when she accepted I slam-danced a ring on her finger and we were married that September. So there was not even a full year before marriage occurred... discounting the four years that I spent stalking her.

Jules said...

Spontaneity is NOT the thing to do when you're talking marriage. You get to know a person, hang out a little, become their friend for a couple of years, finally start dating and after a year or two more, then start talking marriage.

Or go out on New Year's Eve and get married March 3 of the same year. Whichever works out best.

Carrie McCoy said...

Wow! I thought I would have the record for the shortest dating-engagement-marriage, but it sounds like Julie might have me beat?
Sam and I started dating September 5th, 2001, got engaged September 29th, 2001, and were married January 27th, 2002.
You know, when YOU KNOW that they are the one...why wait????
It might be important for everyone to know that we did know each other our WHOLE lives, so I wasn't totally crazy! Our parents are best-friends so we grew up as friends. There wasn't much more we needed to know about each other during our "dating" month, so we just figured, let's just get down to business! :-)

Carrie McCoy said...

Oh, and I was 21. My hubby however has a few, 6 years over me, but you know, I think men in general need a little extra time to "mature." Right?

Jenny said...

Oh goodness...where do I begin. I met Dane working on a cruise ship in July of 2003. We worked together for a month and then started dating. Dane left the ship in September as his contract was over. I left for my break in October. I was at my parent's house in OR for my break and he came and stayed with us for three days. In November I went back to the cruise ship to start my second stint while Dane went to Florida to work at a resort. In December he got in touch with me to ask if he could come out to the ship to see me. I said okay. :) At the end of December, he came out to fill in on the ship and we hung out for two weeks and then decided to quit our jobs and get off the ship in the Virgin Islands to live. We lived in the Virgin Island for three months and came home to where he proposed! That was in May of 2004 and we married October of '04!

So I guess to sum it up, we knew each other for just over a year, but we weren't with each other for that whole time. But I knew very quickly that he was going to be my man. :)

Jules said...

I love all these stories and as usual David's made me laugh the whole time, geez that boy of mine can tickle my funny bone.

Anyway, I hope more people add to them as they are so fun and I was happy to hear that Carrie jumped in hook, line and sinker to. And Carrie, it's been almost 30 years for us so it can be done. However, I didn't know him my whole life so you probably were a bit brighter than me. I'd only known Wayne for 6 months, most of the time while dating his roommate!

Simpson's said...

Well, I guess I married the "slow guy". Aaron and I met in college and were friends for a few years there before we went on our first date. It wasn't until after college when I moved to Portland that we officially started dating, June 2000. I knew probably a few months into the relationship that he was the one. Besides the fact that I had had a crush on him since I was a freshman in college. He had other thoughts. Especially when he broke things off after about 6 months. He soon came to his senses after about a week apart. (I'll give him a break because I was his first real girlfriend...ever.) But it took him until Sept. 2002 to finally propose. Apparently they have a family 2-year rule. They have to date someone at least 2 years before marrying. Whatever! Our engagement was fairly quick (considering our lengthy timeline) and we got married in March 2003. And it has been over 5 glorious years of marriage since. But we've been together for over 8 years. I guess it doesn't matter how long it takes for some, or how quickly for others, but that the right decision was made. I know that we both feel we married our best friend and love of our life. Anymore it seems like we are the exception and not the rule. Cheers to all of us!

Lisa said...

This is a fun game! Especially as we count our blessings during the holidays! My beloved and I first met in a college sociology course where we sat next to each other, but hardly spoke to one another (in part due to the fact that I was dating one of his friends, and we both thought the other was a diligent student). About a year later we "remet" at the beginning of the school year at our college fellowship group. While we dated just over a year before we were engaged, I knew about 2 months in that my heart was taken, and after spending a summer apart while I was abroad, I knew my heart would be smashed if he decided I wasn't the one for him. :) We were married 6 months after our post new-years engagement and just celebrated 4 years this summer! And it gives me great hope to see parents like Julie and Wayne who have made it so many years with that same spark of love and silliness that I think makes a marriage last!