For any of you other church going families out there, I hope you hear what I'm saying. I never intend for Sunday mornings to be a cry/whine/rushing fest but somehow that's what they turn into. I admit, I'm usually the one who slides into the grumpies first. I think every week that we are going to do better but somehow getting everyone out the door by 8:00 a.m. just doesn't bring out the best in any of us (okay, mostly me).
"PLEASE finish eating so we can get dressed! Nathan, take a bite right now!" (Christian attribute: showing patience and grace.)
"Aubrey, you have to wear tights today, it is 0 degrees outside. It is not up for debate." (That my friend is true. Both parts. That is is that cold outside and that I'm not debating the necessity of proper clothing during a Northwest winter. Christian attribute: raising children up in the way they should go. )
"Greg, are you out of the shower?!?! I still have to get ready!" (Christian attribute: showing love and respect for one's spouse.)
As we are walking out the door: "Do you smell something?" Yep. I smell our Dane, who didn't have the good graces to save that mess for the church childcare workers. (Christian attribute: putting others ahead of one's self.)
Unfortunately , today was no exceptions . We got up late, scurried around like intoxicated crabs, couldn't get the sliding doors on our van open because of the extreme cold, shoved kids through the middle front door console to get in, drove straight past our exit (the one we take every week you know), and were on our way to being fifteen minutes late. I hate being late for anything. When we got to church there was a poor soul standing in full body coveralls at the drive entrance who cheerfully told us that church had been canceled because the church had no heat and no power. The man had ice on his beard and was still smiling.
For some reason, that cheered me up. Not that we couldn't go to church, but that we would not be thwarted in our efforts to have a Sunday service, which we would conduct at home. We then decided that we were not leaving the house today and have nestled in for a day at home. The days' activities are shown below, along with a token picture of the kids with Mr. Crusty Santa.
Happy Sunday to you!Nathan looks like he he'd rather be sitting on a cactus.
This was a gingerbread house kit that Grandma Marian brought over for the kids yesterday. It was excellent. Gingerbread already made, frosting the perfect stiffness, a base with grooves to hold everything in place, and plenty of candy to decorate with and sneak into one's mouth. The kids had a great time. Thank you Grandma!
Aubrey is so fun to do projects with now. She loves crafts and was so careful and precise with this one. She decorated the tree all by herself, icing and all.
Nathan did some decorating but mostly snuck, or didn't sneak, pieces of candy.
The finished product. I think it turned out great.
Dane's contribution to the project was to be irate that he couldn't contribute (I mean IRATE) and then to be mollified with eating a broken gingerbread tree.
p.s. Dane took three steps yesterday and is taking little steps all day long now. He is so close to being a man on the run. Time for another baby! (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!)
p.p.s. GU vs. Arizona at 3 p.m. Go Zags!
Sunday, December 14, 2008
Another harmonious Sunday morning
Posted by Sara Jones at 1:05 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I don't know why but the intoxicated crab comment made me immediately let out an audible chuckle. I love when that happens.
And I love all the pictures you posted and that Santa does look like a curmudgeon. He'd better stay disguised as that makes this granny very unhappy and yet, I agree about Nathan's preference with the cactus (which also elicited a chuckle).
The gingerbread house project looked like a blast. What a great idea Marian!
I meant and YES not yet, I agree about the cactus comment. That makes a bit more sense. And I still want to pummel that Santa for not being cheerful with the sweet grandkids!
Also, WAY TO GO to our walking machine! I can't WAIT to see him!
Looks like you had a very fun, family day. Thanks for posting insightful day-to-day activities.
I'm sorry to laugh at your expense, but your pre-church preperations cracked me up. Mostly because it was like a flash back to when I was growning up...that sounds all too familiar. :)
But after that, it sounds like a great day! LOVE the gingerbread house...what a great project for hte kids. And Dane...what a big boy!!! It sounds like he's going to beat Anna. :) She can stand on her own for several seconds, but no steps on her own yet. I'm sure it'll be any time now though.:)
I too laughed out loud...my house is the EXACT same every sunday morning. The first sunday that I don't put my make up on in the van on the way will be glorious.
The gingerbread house looked AWESOME! how fun. We did that last year and now you have me thinking we better do that again this year. Way to go Aubrey, nice work.
Okay, more comments on Santa, I noticed you had to be in the picture...SO DID I! :) Grace took one look at Santa and screamed like I have never heard the girl scream before...so Justin and I hopped in and we had a family picture with santa :)
I am glad that my household is not the only one that is dysfunctional on Sundays! We seem to manage every other day to be on time to work, etc. It must be the demons trying to keep us from going to church to pray! I can get the whole family up an hour earlier than normal, and we will still be late. And, if by the rare chance we aren't late...we are all grumpy, so it defeats the purpose. :-)
Post a Comment