This blog post is for the following people:
1. Those who have kids or who really dig a good art project.
2. Those who can look a mess in the eye and say, "HAHA, I love a huge mess!"
3. Those who have a good outdoor place to get messy and clothes they care nothing about. I'm serious about doing this outside. It made clean up 100% easier and you aren't freaked out about food coloring permanently damaging things in your home.
If you are one of these people, this art project is for you. It's one of the best ones I've ever done with the kids and we all had a blast.
(Remember that my camera is broken? This post would be way cooler with pictures but alas, your imagination will have to do the work.)
Supplies
A can of old fashion shaving cream (not the gel)
Multiple colors of food coloring
Toothpicks
A cookie sheet or pan with sides
Sturdy paper, like card stock
A LOT OF PAPER TOWELS
1. Fill the pan with a layer of shaving cream. I used a spatula to even it out.
2. Allow the kids to put many drops of food coloring all over the shaving cream. (Note: More isn't always better. I thought the projects turned out better with fewer, more artistically places drops but since it was the kids' project the drops went where ever they darn well pleased. Control your inner control freak and let them dump the whole bottle on if they want.)
3. Swirl the drops of food coloring around. We used toothpicks and forks to do this and make pretty designs out of the color.
4. Place a sheet of card stock on top of the shaving cream, making sure the paper is pretty well covered. Remove and use a paper towel to wipe all the excess shaving cream off.
5. TADA! You have the coolest tie dyed looking paper to play with. They are cool in a cool way too, not just in a kid's project kind of way. We turned ours into cards but you can do whatever you want with them. The colors are vibrant, the paper isn't damp, and playing with shaving cream and food coloring is as good as it gets.
You really should try this. I know you're thinking WHAT A MESS but it was so worth it. Really. Trust me on this.
p.p. s. Dane made it through this entire project without eating any shaving cream. That alone is a major success. His hands are permanently red but it was a small price to pay for a lot of fun.
p.p.p.s. I got this craft from the magazine Family Fun. In case anyone is prowling my blog for copy right infringement.
Friday, July 17, 2009
Only for the brave of heart
Posted by Sara Jones at 7:39 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
That sounds way cool Sara. But you HAVE to get a new camera as I'd have loved to have seen pictures of that.
I don't know of any mother who is better about letting their kids have a ton of fun without thinking about the mess it's going to be. I tried my best but there were certain things (such as Play-Doh) that I banished from the house because I HATED the clean-up.
Fun idea, and it sounds like it made really cool and unique cardstock to use.
I agree with your mom--a camera must be in your very near future. I just love picture posts to accompany your stories.
Post a Comment