You may remember (or if you don't, take a peek at this link http://www.sarassmile.net/2009/05/mary-mary-quite-contrary-how-does-your.html ) that we planted ourselves a garden this year. I envisioned salsa made fresh from my garden, sweet peas and carrots for lunch, and so many green beans I would be forced to can, freeze, give away, and squander their bounty.
Some of this is true. The peas, tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, and jalapeno peppers get an "A" for exceptional growth and good listening skills. The beans, while late bloomers, should render me almost what I was hoping for. The bell peppers are a total flop. But the zucchini plants...
I don't know what's wrong with them. By that I mean I go out, am disappointed in their results, and walk away. I haven't consulted anyone or any resource as to why they are flopping. I'm a new gardener, remember? And a lazy one too.
The plant itself is barely pulling a "C" grade. It's small for a squash plant but looks healthy. The problem is in food production. I get beautiful flowers and about half the time that's all they do. Flower and no zucchini. Is this a pollination problem? Do they all do this? Who knows?
The real problem occurs when zucchini do start to grow. They look great, grow about four inches, turn yellow, shrivel, and fall off the plant. At this point their only use is for Dane to carry them around, alternatively poking and flinging them. We have had two reach an eatable size but the rest die long before then. What's the deal? Right now I have five little baby ones on there and I get so excited and the kids get so excited and I think about getting to give a zucchini to the new neighbors and two days later they are lying on the ground, ready to be used as Danish weapons. Does anyone out there have a suggestion for the "F" zucchinis??
New blog related stuff: I hired a gal to do a bunch of fancy stuff to my blog. I can't wait! I don't know how long it will take but everything I've seen of hers is great so I'm excited.
Also, I have a new domain name. It's www.sarassmile.net. (Please note the two "s" in the middle of the name.) It won't be up for 2-3 days and my old domain address will link to the new one so you can still use www.gregsarajones.blogspot.com.
I need a new camera. I am missing mine and need pictures for this blog. I'm trying to decide between a point and shoot or a fancier SLR. Any thoughts?
Motherhood calls.
Wednesday, July 29, 2009
Zucchini School Drop out
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Fancier SLR! Then you can learn all there is to know and teach me when I get one. :) All these changes for your blog sure are exciting, I just hope you remember us little people once you become rich and famous. Just remember, you are still that girl that tried to make it as a TEEN magazine model.
I don't know who Jenny is, but I like the fact that OTHER readers are giving some of us NEW readers new things to ask you about! :-)
So the zucchini bread you made, which seemed to be made from zucchini and happy rays of sunshine, was quite exceptional. Was the zucchini from your garden, or did you opt for the store-bought variety? (Just tell me it wasn't made from Dane's leftover toys and I'll be satisfied!)
As for the camera question, if you can afford it, I recommend going for the fancier SLR camera. Any reasonably good model will have a "point-and-shoot" mode for those days when you don't want to mess with everything, and will still be capable of fully-manual mode where you get to control appeture, f-stop, focus, etc. I say go big!
I'm already liking the blog. More reading to do! :-)
Our zucchini plant did the same thing and came out of it (i have been putting miracle gro on it)and has since started to produce but we get about 1 zucchini for every 10 flowers I see. From the people I have talked to it could be that it needs a mate or nutritional deficit of some kind. So, miracle gro the crap out of it and next year try to plant two??? just a suggestion.
Regarding the camera. I personally would lean towards a point and shoot only because I have NO idea how to work cameras and not much desire or time to learn...however we went way cheap on the camera we just bought and suprise suprise I am regretting it! Don't know if that helps or not. Good night :)
I say go for a point and shoot. Yes, the fancy ones are lovely and can do great things, BUT they are a total pain to carry around and are to big to fit in a purse.
P.S. love that you are blogging lots and i think the $$ making idea is a great one! Good luck!! When you are all up and running I will blog about you so I'll my pals check you out, too.
Post a Comment