Saturday, January 2, 2010

I like to move it, move it

Christmas is over. The decorations are put away, our fake tree is in a box which may very well be a sin, and Greg took down our front yard blow up Santa carousel. Greg also forced me to hide the rest of the Christmas candy as he gears up for our second annual Biggest Loser Contest. Mojo has eaten more cheese dip and popcorn balls than any fetus should and the kids have already broken a Christmas toy. You know what this means? It's time to move.


Okay, we're not quite there but now the real work begins. We have been making weekly van loads of stuff to the new house and it was embarrassing how long it took before we even noticed the difference. Things are starting to clear out though and we're entering the phase of home repair and deep cleaning. I am not impressed with the cleaning part and overwhelmed by messes that I just didn't even see. If you have been to my house lately sorry that I didn't notice the chocolate milk splatters IN THE FAMILY ROOM BEHIND THE FILING CABINET. How did they get there? What spill explosion made that happen, how long have they been there and how unfortunate that I now have to care. Both the front door and the garage door were upgraded from "Deep Clean!" to "Paint!". One room at a time girl, one room at a time.

On the new home front, things are happening. Doug, my father-in-law, has nearly finished the front bathroom and I am overwhelmed. It's just so much more than I imagined. I knew about paint and new sink and new flooring. But a fully tiled bathtub with an inlayed design? Tile floor instead of vinyl? A tile wainscot? (Thank you on line dictionary for spelling that word for me.) New cabinet doors and drawers? We didn't even know about these things and the bathroom is stunning. I cannot wait to post after pictures. THANK YOU!

Two weekends from now we are also having a painting party. My folks are coming to watch the kids for us all weekend while Greg and I con some kind, unsuspecting souls into helping us paint the new house. We went to Home Depot today to get samples and this is all I have to say: more isn't always better. I do not know if Peanut Butter or English Toffee is better for the kitchen and, let's not kid ourselves here, don't really care. An interior decorator I am not.

So, let the games begin. The sooner this house is on the market the better and we are hoping by mid February to get it listed. That is if I ever manage to clean out all the dirt from the slider door tracks. Or get the stickers off the window. Or wash all the curtains. Or remember that most light fixtures aren't coated in an inch of dust. Or.....

What does your New Year hold??


p.s. I feel Mojo kick now. It's the bees knees.

6 comments:

Jules said...

I didn't know you felt Mojo kick!!!!!! Ah, I love that. I am going to be even more excited when she gets to kick me on the outside. I'm so thrilled.

AND, shockingly enough, I hate to move.

heather said...

Hey Sara! I'm offering to be one of those 'kind, unsuspecting souls' to help you paint! So I'm super interested to know where exactly '20 minutes west' is from your current house...we're off of Barker & the freeway....(you can tell me the specifics at church!)
And I vote for English Toffee because I have Toffee Crunch in my family room and anything Toffee is a cool color! ;)

KayLynn said...

I had to ask David what the heck you were talking about when you said it was the "bees knees". He looked at me like I was stupid. Then he said it's a phrase from the 50s so I felt better that I didn't know it. Couldn't you have said, "It's cool"???? :) But that is cool! Way to go Mojo! And way to go new house. Love it love it love it.

Jenny said...

Fun post Sara! So much going on in the Jones' household! I'm so excited you're feeling Mojo kick...I love that part! My little monkey is a mover and a shaker! And it never fails that as I'm laying down to sleep, he is the most active. I'm actually starting to get a lot of Braxton Hicks contractions already..just another joy that starts sooner with the second baby. :)

You guys are so lucky that you have the new house to move stuff into as you get ready to sell your current house. We would have to rent a storage shed or something! And I can't WAIT to see "after" pictures...it sounds like it's going to be amazing! Oh, and my vote is for English Toffee as well...it just sounds classier than Peanut Butter. When I think of peanut butter, I think of it stuck all over my daughter's hair and face. English Toffee sounds like it belongs in a chic coffee house. :)

Good luck with all the packing and painting. I actually LOVE to paint, and would be there in a heartbeat if we weren't 5 1/2 hours apart. :( That, plus the fact I'll be in Hawaii. Sorry. :)

Unknown said...

I know you'll believe me when I say I feel both your pain and your excitement.

And that I'm very happy for you and your marriage that you get to move in gradually!

I hope Greg left some leftover cheese ball in the fridge for you.

:)

P.S. Woohoo for Mojo kicks! Loooovvve that feeling!

Carrie McCoy said...

I'm with Kaylynn..."Bees Knees?" But I asked Sam if he knew what it meant and he replied, "it means that it's the bomb!" This leads me to believe that you guys are all showing your age and I, still being in my 20's, am just a young chick! :)