Sunday, January 3, 2010

In defense of "It's the bees knees."

I have heard rumblings of discontent regarding my use of "bees knees". What is it? What on earth does it mean? How come I'm not cool enough to have used it? And most importantly, do bees actually have knees?


I used this phrase after a dear, Bozeman dwelling, aunt of mine used it in an email to me and I was blown over by her vintage creativity and humor. So worth copying! I now try to use it once daily in a sentence to keep this beloved phrase from entering eternal obscurity.

You're welcome to all of those whom I've so thoughtfully introduced to the wonder and power of this humble, yet powerful, phrase. You are all the bees knees.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

I love that phrase...I laughed right out loud when I read it in your previous email.

I hadn't heard it before, but I assumed it meant something was pretty sweet. Kind of like if you call something the "schiz nit". You know, like Snoop Dog would.

Not that I talk that way, but with my past exposure to rap and r&b lingo, I thought I'd give my interpretation. :)

Sara Jones said...

Jenny, how disappointed I would have been if you had not payed tribute to your ghetto background. Yes, it is quite similar to "schiz nit".

I MISS YOU!