I graduated from college six years ago. I assumed I was done. College education, check. I have lost millions of brain cells from sleep deprivation. I haven't studied anything other than the side of a bottle of baby Tylenol in years. I have attempted to start complicated Bible studies over and over again and fail because I can't concentrate, milk gets spilled on my papers, and I fall asleep working. I use my old nursing textbooks as coasters.
I am thinking about going back to school.
The problem is that the job that I seem to enjoy is school nursing. Sounds easy, right? Kids get bigger, start school, Sara gets dreamy school nursing school in her children's school. Great schedule, educational requirements already met. Slam dunk.
Except it's not. I have a nursing education and nursing license but to work in the schools I had to get an Educational Staff Associate (ESA) certificate. I got my initial certificate several years ago and it expires in 2010. That means that if I want to go back to school nursing in the future I have to renew my certificate. The catch is that the renewal requires 30 semester credits of more education. A master's degree is 40 credits. Doesn't make much sense to do 75% of a degree so, enter stage right, THE MASTERS DEGREE.
There are options of course. I don't have to be a school nurse. But I really want to be. I loved the work. It is community based, health promoting, working with kids and adults, lots of education and teaching, and void of miserable hospital hours. I don't work weekends, holidays, or summers. I'm off for the day when the kids get off. Both Greg and I agree that is is the way to go. So, back to stage right, THE MASTERS DEGREE.
I am a good student and enjoy school but the thought of doing it with THREE KIDS is mind boggling. Greg and I discussed it last night and it seems like sooner is better than later. The kids' schedules are only going to get busier and it would be great to be ready to go when Dane starts school, rather than fumbling around with finishing, or just starting. Of course, with all the kids in school my days would be more free, but I'd be spending money, not earning it. Besides, will it ever really be easy?
Greg is very much behind me going back. This is essential because if I do it will be a family endeavor. There are so many logistics we'd have to work through, including my schedule, Greg's schedule, where the kids are, when do I study, who is doing laundry, and has anyone fed the cats in the past three days??
The fun side is that the idea of learning something and using my brain is very appealing. The program I'm interested in is a Masters in Nursing/Community Based-Population Focused degree with an emphasis in education. It's offered here in town at the nursing school I graduated from. Full time looks to be a three semester program but I have inquiries in about part time programs. Nursing classes are tricky time wise because a clinical will be given 3 credits but consume 20 hours a week. I want to be careful about not sending myself and our family to the loony bin while doing this.
So, does anyone know someone who has gone back to school with a house full of little kids? I know it's done but were they sane? Was their family? Are we nuts to even be considering this? If you have any interesting anecdotes or bits of wisdom I'd love to hear them. For now, I think I'll start sharpening my #2 pencils and dusting off my brain.
Friday, August 22, 2008
School Days, School Days
Posted by Sara Jones at 3:38 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Um, yuck! That's all I can say, but best of luck to you! :-) I only have 2 kids, but the thought of having to go to school and keep our house alive sounds difficult, if not impossible. But, if anyone can do it, I think it would be you!
It is nice that you have your husband behind you. I know that I always feel better about decisions when Sam and I make the decision together! Good luck!
my reply: YOU GO GIRL. sara it will be busy as hell and you will be SO happy to have done it. it will be something that you are doing for YOU, which i believe you have not done in the better part of a decade. my friend lesa in my program did it with kids, granted her's were school age, but yes, i think she about pulled her hair out sometimes. and she did come to class in tears on occasion. however, they made it. and she talked about how she loved the fact that school was the one thing in her life that was all about her. and i know she would love to talk to you about it if you wanted to. she is great. i say plan plan plan ahead, take a deep breath, and goooooooooooooooooooooo (ps i love you. see you in 6 days!!!!)
Back to school...wow. You are a much braver woman than I. The thought of having homework again makes me want to poke out my eyes with that freshly sharpened #2 pencil you mentioned.
In all seriousness though, I very much agree with Lianna. I think you should do this...FOR YOU. Yes is is going to be exhausting and yes you very well may go crazy in the process, but look at all of the great things that will come of it! That Masters will set you up ot have the IDEAL job in the years to come...it doesn't get much better than that mama.
You deserve this for you. You deserve to feel needed and useful for things other than just making dinner and doing dishes (your favorite thing according to Aubrey) and folding mounds of clothes. You deserve to use your brain for intellectual purpouses and stimulating conversations with adults.
I don't think you should feel guilty about this taking time away from your kids or maybe this making life harder on your family for a few months because while this would be wonderful for YOU, this is also going to benefit your family in the future. It really is a win win in the end. Of course it will be a struggle and hard as hell, but I think you will regret it if you don't do this.
I have faith in you and think you would do a wonderful job...and the most important thing is that Greg is there backing you 100%. How lucky are you?
I agree...Lianna and Jenny (though not about the pencil in the eye) are right. Going back to school to get to a point where you can do what you love is a blessing not only to you, but to your family. I can't even begin to imagine what it will be like, having no children of my own, but I know that with the brains you have and a supporting husband it's totally possible! Research, learn what you can, plan and then jump in and go for it.
Post a Comment