WARNING: The following post is a long long diatribe on the difficulties of being a parent in the Jones house these days. Let go of guilt and skip reading it if you frankly aren't interested. I'll never know.
It is SO HARD being a parent in our house these days. Although the symptoms are varied the primary disease is one thing: utter, unrelenting, merciless, exhaustion.
As of November I will have been pregnant or nursing, without a day's reprieve, for the past five years. These are years of interrupted sleep at best, head pounding, I haven't slept in weeks exhaustion at the bottom. We are at the bottom these days and not only are Greg and I losing the battle, I think we both feel like we are losing the war.
Dane is obviously the primary culprit. We cannot seem to get him out of our room. He is not a good sleeper and so inconsistent that it makes putting him in with Aubrey and Nathan impractical. Yet, he's big enough that when he is in our room with us he cries and wails, knowing that we are lying inches away, wanting to scream ourselves. So, Greg and I have been sleeping on a futon mattress on the floor of the play room on a semi-permanent basis until Dane sleeps well enough that he can join his siblings. There is no sign of this happening any time soon. To further the indignity of our sleeping arrangement, when Nathan ran downstairs naked tonight to get his blankies he took the liberty of first standing on our bed and peeing all over it. I won't lie, I actually cried.
The other sleep issue relates to us just having three little kids. Imagine if you will one little kid waking up once at night needing a drink of water. No big deal, right? Now imagine that both older kids do that in conjunction with the baby who is rarely up less than twice. We now have four opportunities for mommy and daddy to drag themselves out of bed. It is RARE that we get more than two hours of uninterrupted sleep. Can you see why after months (really, years) of this we are close to insanity?
As anyone knows, exhaustion clouds everything. I am impatient. I am short. I am easily frustrated and not able to see past the small things. I am not the mom or wife I want to be. Greg and I spend our evening snuggled together in front of the t.v., too stinking tired to do something more interesting. As a mom who is often motivated by guilt this is a recipe for one big guilt pie. I'm not present and engaged with my kids, I'm not thinking of interesting crafts, I dream of whole days spent with the kids parked in front of movies while I never move from a horizontal position, and I am so frustrated because I know I can be so much better than this. DO you want to know what exhaustion plus guilt equals? Resentment.
It is a bad bad feeling to resent your kids. It doesn't happen very often but it's been happening lately. Both Nathan and Dane have colds that compound the situation. And I feel resentful. I had a long dentist appointment yesterday morning and my teeth pounded all day. Yet, I continued to nurse babies and feed kids, and settle fights (I just spelled fight "fite". That is what tired does to you.), and read books and try to be interesting and supportive and sing songs and remember how many servings of vegetables the kids had and how much exercise they got and deal with Aubrey's UNENDING ARGUING ABOUT EVERYTHING, and clean up all the puke Dane gets on the floor and make dinner and still be patient patient patient. By the end of yesterday and today I wanted to scream. I am so so so so so stinking tired. Oh, and in case you were wondering, resentment just breeds more guilt.
Yep, more guilt because I have pictures of kids who are being treated at St. Jude's Hospital on my fridge and I'm so blessed that my kids are healthy. We got new family pictures and I look at that picture and think that I would DIE if one thing happened to any of them. And my Grandma had eight kids and lived in a house the size of my garage, literally, and brought her wash to a laundry mat and grew and harvested and cooked and canned all their food. My other grandmother lived snowed in half the year with her five small kids and no sanity breaks and no Starbucks. Something tells me that they weren't getting a solid eight hours of sleep a night either. Besides, what do we want from these babies of ours? They are little little children and they just do the things that little children do. They are the most precious, worthwhile, amazing endeavors we have ever taken on. But the unending work of it all tends to take the shine off. And have I mentioned the exhaustion?
This blog is such good therapy for me. I suppose I shouldn't need to vent my frustrations in a public forum but I hope that there are some other parents out there that can relate to this feeling. Parenting is awesome. Kids are a gift from God. I will never have another job that is of greater consequence than the one I am doing now. And is it hard hard hard hard work, the hardest I have ever done.
Oh, and if you're wondering why I'm typing this rather than sleeping, it's because Dane has been up and crying. Crying because his nose is plugged and he's cutting six teeth and because he's a baby. Trust me, in this house, there is no rest for the weary.
Final note. I did not have it in me to spell check this thing. If you have made it to this far I will assume that you overlooked the typos.
Friday, September 12, 2008
How low can you go
Posted by Sara Jones at 8:53 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I don't know what to say, but KayLynn & I support you & Greg. If you need sleeping, babysitting for napping purposes is only a phone call away. Think of it as a "loans for shares" program like the Russians did when converting from communism to capitalism... only without the corruption... or the transfer of trillions of dollars of natural resources... actually this is just a terrible analogy. Instead, think of it as calling your sister & her husband to watch your kids whilst you sleep away your exhaustion, resentment, and guilt.
All I can tell you Sara is even though it feels like it now, it won't last forever. Pam and Carol (Walker) stayed last night with us and we were JUST talking about the time Hannah felt so sorry for me because you and KayLynn were at friend's and Dad was taking Lianna and Hannah on a few errands with him leaving me all alone. My little Hannah kept giving me sad eyes asking me if I was going to be lonely when I could hardly contain myself from doing a hand spring at the mere thought of 2 hours by myself. So it IS a frustrating job but one you'll never be sorry you did. I think Dane may just have to learn to cry, cry, cry himself back to sleep. It won't hurt him and he won't remember it. And keep in mind, once you are done nursing we are sending you and Greg packing for the weekend while we stay at your house with the kids. That's "only" around 4 more months so hang in there. I wish I was closer to help. And take David and KayLynn up on their offer. They can come over for the sole purpose of letting you guys sleep, what a fabulous gift that would be1
Sara dear, I only have 1 and 8/9 children and I can completely and totally understand. Especially this week. Our week has also been horrible--every last person in the house sick, no one sleeping, and PLENTY of crying from me.
I wish I lived closer because I would also come and take your children from you for an hour or two. I think your mom is wise to encourage you to take David and KayLynn's offer.
Oh, reading your post brought back so many memories of what the first year of life is like with a baby. Have no fear, Sara, Lance and I will be where you are in just 5 short weeks.
I have a talk you should read. In fact, I've been meaning to post it on my blog for some time now. Please go to my blog and click on the link of "Article of the Week". I'll email it to you too.
Sending lots of good thoughts, prayers, and wishes your way.
Truely, I'm not even going to pretend that I know how you're feeling, but I'm sure I will get it in the future as we welcome more kids into our family. I'm so sorry that things are tough in the Jones' household these days. Your mom is so right in saying that it will get better. It will, right? It has to! Hopefully things will start looking brighter when Dane is feeling better, then maybe everyone will start getting more sleep. It's always hard when little ones are all stuffed up and not feeling good.
In the mean time gladly accept the help from anyone that will offer it and keep your eye on the prize (your parents staying with the kids for a whole weekend while you and Greg get away and sleep!). I would have that weekend planned and circled on the calendar. :)
You and Greg are on my mind and I hope you get some rest and relief soon...I do know parenthood is NOT easy and I can't imagine it with three kids. You are a wonderful mother and should not be so hard on yourself. I love you friend!
We love you Greg and Sara! As a couple of parents who can relate quite well, we FEEL YOUR PAIN. Hang in there, soon we'll be on a beach somewhere drinking margaritas...or anywhere kidless drinking margaritas will do. Shall we set that date? We can just so totally relate to this...all I can say is you are AWESOME parents and like my Aunt always says..."keep up the God work" ! :) (no that wasn't a typo, that kind of sums this up, it's God's work for sure!)
Post a Comment