Tuesday, October 28, 2008

School of Hard Knocks

Those parents out there know the importance of consistency and follow through with kids. The first time you don't do what you say you're going to do you've opened the flood gates to a heap of other troubles. Greg and I strive to be consistent and I think we have nice kids to show for it. But sometimes it is SO STINKIN' TOUGH to do it. Enter stage right, "Aubrey and the Case of the Ridiculously Awful Fit."

After dinner this evening we planned a family trip to Fred Meyer for some last minute Halloween costume needs. This was a fun outing and the kids were excited to go. I worked on prepping Nathan while Greg told Aubrey to put on her socks and shoes. She flitted around, prancing up and down the stairs, all blue eyes and flying curls. Cute, but not productive.

"Aubrey, please put on your socks."

She disappeared into her room and reappeared with a pair of tights.

"I want to wear these." Aubrey was currently wearing jeans and a sweater.

"Hon (notice we are still using terms of endearment), you can't wear those with jeans. Please just put on some socks so we can get your shoes and go."

"No. I want to wear tights."

"AUBREY."

But alas, it was already too late. The look was in her eyes, the look that said she would try to knock us cold before this battle was over.

"I DON'T WANT TO WEAR SOCKS, I WANT TO WEAR TIGHTS! SOCKS ARE ITCHY! AND COLD! I DON'T LIKE SOCKS, I LIKE TIGHTS! WWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!"

It was at this point that Greg and I sealed our fates. Without really thinking it through I said, "Aubrey, you can put your socks on RIGHT NOW or you will not be going to the store."

I was greeted with the cold, hard stare of my little daughter, just daring me to follow through. What could I do? I had said it, so it had to be done. After a hushed conference we decided that she had one last chance and if that didn't work I would go with Nathan and Greg would stay with Aubrey and Dane. It didn't seem fair to punish Nathan for Aubrey's behavior. Still, this was no fun for anyone. What started out as a fun family outing was unraveling into an awful, tear, filled power struggle. Just what any parent wants out of their family night together.

"Last chance Aubrey. Socks or you're staying."

She stayed.

SCREAMING in her room, legs flailing, "I WANT TO GO, I WANT MOMMY, I WANT TO GO!!!!!!!" Our walls nearly rattled from her screams. She was a child gone mad and we just put her in our room and told her she could come out when she was a human child again. This is how Nathan and I left her, wailing herself hoarse and pounding the floor in anguish. It was unreal.

When we came home, Nathan having relished his one on one mommy time, I found Aubrey downstairs, huddled under a blanket, face blotchy and red, eating a yogurt. After many hugs I asked her if she understood what happened.

"Yes. It wasn't fair that you left me."

"Aubrey, it was fair. You were not obeying and you were disrespectful and threw a fit. You didn't deserve to come. I know, it was bad but next time I bet you'll get to go."

"Yes, it was bad. It was bad of you to leave me."

Sigh.

7 comments:

Jules said...

How do kids learn manipulation so early on. I know that whole thing had to have broke your heart but you did the right thing. And you are so right. Had you given in this time she would have IMMEDIATELY known she had won and that would be the beginning of battle after battle after battle. She will remember that she had wanted to go and wasn't able to and that it was NOT fun. I'm just glad I wasn't there as I would have had to go downstairs to cry as you know I can't stand the tears on the gtandbabies. Next time she'll do as she's told, as she does 99% of the time. Every now and the they just have to see if you remember that you're boss.

Melissa said...

Girl, are you sure you don't live at my house? ;)

I know exactly what you mean about "sealing your fate" and am proud of you for your follow through. (Okay, maybe being proud of you is kind of weird, but you know what I mean!) My hubby and I have been convicted lately about not saying that something is going to be a consequence unless we really intend to impose it.

"Pick up your toys now or you're not spending the night at Grammy's (and we'll just sit at home with you and skip our fun date night)."

Yeah. Right. :)

Sackmanns said...

ah! what a sad little blog! way to go you big stud. that sounds hard.

Jenny said...

Good job mama! That sounds like quite the fit that she threw...I honestly can't imagine her acting that way. Do you suppose that's a sneak peek into puberty? :)

I'm sure I'll be calling you for moral support in 2-3 years with Anna. :)

hannah105 said...

does lianna have a blog?!

Jules said...

Lianna doesn't have a blog Hannah, she just reads everybody's like I do.

Jules said...
This comment has been removed by the author.