At this moment, Aubrey is hobbling around the kitchen, praising Dane for his new walking skills. She is hobbling because four hours ago she tripped and got a rug burn on her leg the size of a penny. To stop the wailing we drenched it in pain relieving spray (a gift from the hospital after the birth of one of our kids, thanks Sacred Heart) and put a band aid on it. She has been limping ever since. OH THE AGONY! OH THE MISERY! OH THE INDIGNITY OF A HORRIFIC INJURY!
On the other side, there she is, wounded knee and all, beaming and encouraging, and coaxing her little brother to walk. He smiles more at her praise than he does from Greg and I. He adores her. One of their special activities is before Aubrey takes a nap but after Nathan is down, I bring Dane onto Aubrey's bed and they wrestle around. She is gentle but fun and Dane giggles while she snuggles him and rolls him back and forth. It has gotten to the point that when Aubrey heads to bed Dane crawls (or walks) as fast as he can to the bed, already smiling in anticipation.
Being the oldest, Aubrey's personality seems the most complex. She has had more time to develop her person and watching her become her own little self is so fun. She is kind but willing to lay you out if you cross her line, she is cautious but shows a great ability to conquer her fears, she is loving but independent. And she is my girl. The wearer of tights and skirts and million dollar curls.
I love you Aubrey!
3 comments:
What a sweetheart! I love your tributes to your kids! great idea.
I love that Aubrey takes her big sisterhood very seriously. It as adorable when she and Nathan spent that night with us and when he was sad she'd open her arms wide open and he'd run to her and she'd comfort him. I can just see her giving her baby brother walking accolades. What perfect grandchildren our daughters (and son-in-laws) have produced for us!
Sara, I love all of the wonderful and sweet things you have to say about your children...and the hilarious shinanigans they are up to. :) What a fantastic idea!
Post a Comment