I saved Greg for my last day because I wanted to put some thought into what I would say. I think kids are simpler to describe, at least at this stage. Their lives aren't very complicated so their personality traits are more straight forward. Adults on the other hand have all sorts of challenges and situations to react to, all of which show little parts of the character underneath.
Greg is a person who is never satisfied with anything less than the best in himself. While this can discourage him at times, it is also one of his greatest strengths. The house is a mess? Then he'll clean it. Frustrated with his weight? Then he'll lose it. Concerns at work? He looks for a solution. Misses his family? He'll be intentional about putting us first. As we speak, he is working so hard at being a man of God, being a good father, husband, employee, son, and friend. He never takes a break from wanting to better himself.
And really, can I talk about Greg without mentioning basketball? Outside of his family and God, it is his deepest love. He has played on the same rec team since graduating from college (GO BUCS! That was for you, Travis.) and they have won their division every year. They practice for heaven's sake and this is a rec league! Come March, don't bother making plans with him because he'll only have eyes for college hoops. There is a lot of who he is that he identifies with basketball because of the role it has played in his life.
I think Greg is best described through his actions. He has the BEST laugh, ask anyone, and isn't afraid to use it. He will play uninterrupted in the snow with the kids for two hours and never once want to check his email. He will dance the sprinkler in the kitchen and be the life of the dance at any party. He will tell me sincerely that I'm pretty on no make-up and sweats days. He has called me every day since the snow hit to let me know that he made it to work because he knows I'm worrying. He is awesome.
You know those rose colored lenses I mentioned in Dane's post? Well, we have been together for ten years so of course I have a few gripes. Greg will always shop for my birthday and Christmas hours before I'm supposed to receive the gifts. He will always be more comfortable at 60 degrees while I like the house at a nice balmy 74. He will probably always drop his towels on the floor and leave crumbs on the counter. We still can't play games together without arguing. Are you hearing me though? THIS IS AS BAD AS IT GETS. Seriously. He's really that great of a guy. He's masculine and kind and thoughtful and simple to please and determined and COMPETITIVE and driven and HANDSOME and loving and generous. Is that enough superlatives for you? Are you nauseous yet?
I love you Greg!
Tuesday, January 6, 2009
A man above generalizations
Posted by Sara Jones at 9:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Greg is awesome and he's especially awesome at the exact weight that he's at right now. It would be a shame for him to get skinny and sickly so be sure and stock up on heavy beer and Kettle Chips for him. Also, make a couple of extra cupcakes for him on Dane's birthday, I know he'll appreciate it. I LOVE YOU GREG!
Dude, when's it KayLynn's turn??? I can give you hints of what to say if you need help.
Post a Comment