Thursday, August 6, 2009

Dancing and photos and food, oh my!

This could have been an epic, philosophical post but I had to watch the finale of "So You Think You Can Dance." It didn't disappoint. If you don't watch then you are crazy. It's always been a summer show but this year they are starting it again in the fall. September 2 for you crazies out there is the day to get on board.

I still don't have a camera. It might be a sin to have small children and no working camera. Do children actually grow if it's not documented on film (or digital memory)? I've decided that I'd like a fancy SLR. I'm diving in. Someone recommended a Canon Rebel as a place to start. Anyone else have an opinion? I have been wanting to learn about photography and I'm just going to force myself into it. Now I'm stuck in indecision land. What do I get? If I'm only going to get one extra lens, what should it be? What the heck is an F stop? How do I get that cool blurry background on photos? I think I want a photo editing program. What one should I get? Will I ever have time to learn how to use all these things? While I ponder all these questions I resort to doing nothing. FYI, doing nothing is rather unproductive.


I am concluding with a recipe that will change your life. Melissa, I got the recipe from your Christmas cookie exchange last year. Readers, make these tomorrow for health and happiness.

Soft Almond Cookies

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup softened butter
3/4 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
1 egg (the recipe says 1 LAND O LAKES All Natural Farm Fresh Egg. If you use their product your cookie will not only be delicious but calorie free.)
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 1/4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Glaze
1 cup powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1-2 tablespoons milk

Heat oven to 350. Combine sugar and butter in a large bowl; beat at medium speed until creamy. Add ricotta cheese, egg, and 1 tsp. almond extract, continue beating until well mixed. Reduce speed to low; gradually add flour, baking powder, and salt, beating well after each addition. Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls, 2 inches apart, onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 10-12 minutes (my oven takes about 14) or until lightly browned . Cool on cookie sheet 2 minutes (LONGER!); remove to cooling rack.

Combine powdered sugar, 1/4 teaspoon almond extract and enough milk for desired glazing consistency in small bowl; mix well. Spoon onto completely cooled cookie. Decorate with sprinkles if desired.

Send testimonies of these cookie's life changing properties to my comments section.

1 comments:

tara said...

Oh yum, sounds delicious! I'll put the required ingredients on my shopping list and aim to make these within the next week. Thanks for sharing (and thanks in advance for earning me "my wife is awesome" points with my cookie-loving husband!).
XOXO