Apparently the primary interest of my last post was the gross display of marketing and consumerism, i.e., the kids' play room. You know how people never know their own house stinks? I'm beginning to think it's the say way with toy rooms. You just don't realize how much stuff there is until someone else points it out. Do you want my excuses?
1. Have three children. Multiply each year of life by a birthday and Christmas. Add in many generous family members. Mix with hordes of hand me downs. Equals a play thing or two.
2. We do reductions every so often, I swear! And we've given toys away. And we talk about being grateful, remember? And thankful for what we have. And besides, the only way to have peace in our home is to have a Magna Doodle for each kid. So what?
3. Did you see the book shelf? I mean, books are cool, right? We have a lot of books. I include Greg and I in that "we". It seems better than having lots of swords or bobble heads or spiders.
4. I'm mostly just embarrassed. I can't even tell you where they have all come from. We buy very few of them and inherit lots. Plus, who knew kids actually played with stuffed animals? Aubrey has her millions on the Dewey Decimal System I think. Just watch what happens if you try to slip pink poodle out in a midnight toy cleanse. She'll notice.
5. Wanna come visit? You're kids will love it here!
Tuesday, August 25, 2009
In defense of mass consumerism
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I can vouch for the fact that MANY of the toys you see were bought by me, the other grandma and many generous Aunts and Uncles. I keep telling myself they have NO MORE ROOM so I HAVE TO QUIT BUYING but then what, no birthday present? No Christmas present? No Easter present? No Valentine's present? No 4t of July present? No St. Patrick's Day present? No Groundhog's Day present? No President's Day present? No "I'm now potty trained" present? No "I lost a tooth" present? No "my granny loves me" present? No "Skunk Survival Day" present? No "End of Locusts Day" present? No "Eiffel Tower Anniversary" present? O.K., O.K., so I buy them too many bloody presents. Sue me. And it's Aubrey's birthday in just a few days and they're going to have to build an addition on their place to house all the new stuff I'm buying her. I'm the grandma, I get to do it.
Just a quick question...do most parents horde swords, bobble-heads, and spiders for their children to play with?
And who cares how many toys you have, you don't need to apologize. Just remember, those same limp-wristed-vegan-pinko-activists that are always decrying the absolute HORRORS of Americans buying the things that they or their offspring want usually wind up buying the same stuff in the same quantities. So, you don't need some wimpy support group (like vegans, socialists, liberals, environmentalist wackos, or any of the other nut-jobs on this planet), you're a carnivore... KEEP BEING AWESOME.
I didn't make my previous comment to make you feel like you had to defend yourself! Your kids are very blessed in many ways, and their playroom is definitely an added blessing. :)
To be honest, for a split second after seeing your room I felt bad that I haven't provided Anna with an expansive room o' joy like that one. Then I remember that she is just one person and she has only lived through one birthday. Plus, all the toys we do have for her she shows very little interest in and would much rather rummage through the kitchen cupboards and play with the pots and pans or help empty the dishwasher. She is still very much into that phase of getting into things she shouldn't, and just making a mess rather than sitting down and constructively playing with something. There. That is my explanation as to why our playroom looks inferior. :)
p.s. I showed Anna the picture of your playroom and she said she can't WAIT to come and visit in just a few short weeks! Seriously...she's going to be in heaven! Can't wait to see you!
Poor Jen, nobody took your comment in a bad way. Heck, nobody ever takes you seriously. It just made it fun to comment on as I suspect Anna's grandparents and relatives may spoil her a bit too. :)
Cole would LOVE to come play!
I'm still overwhelmed!! :-)
Love you!
Post a Comment