Thursday, August 13, 2009

When Mama Ain't Happy...

...well, you know how the rest of it goes.

The word for the week has been WHINE. Did you know that constant whining can drive grown women to tears? Okay, let's cut the generalities. It can, and has, made me cry.

There has been nary a moment this week when someone hasn't been whining. Fighting, squabbling, snotty noses, bickering, fit throwing, tantrums. I have been so grumpy. Dinner is a chore I have barely been able to stomach. Tuesday I just didn't.

And speaking of chores. Can I just say that my life this week has been straight from "Groundhog's Day?" This is what Dane does. He touches something, dumps it, moves on. I follow behind, pick it up, move on. He redumps it. I reclean it. Repeat one million times. What if someone came to your office everyday and undid everything you did the day before? Trust me, at some point the futility of your job would get the better of you.

Everyone has colds. Everyone has snot. Nathan has constant snot on his cheek and arm and has perfected a hysterical screech of, "I NEED A TISSUE!" Dane just lets it run straight into his mouth. Then Nathan screams that DANE NEEDS A TISSUE!! And I just scream because if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

Aubrey hates VBS this week, another fun activity to battle. You know, since she has to go to preschool in the same place in four weeks. Sweet.

I AM SPENT. Greg sent me on my way for an hour this week while he took over the house. I sat in the parking lot outside of Blockbuster for 30 minutes reading a book. I tried to rent a movie only to be told that we still have "The Great Mouse Detective" from 3 months ago. Which I haven't seen in forever and am sure returned. So I went and bought Dove chocolate instead. Then read more of my book from the car in our driveway and called Greg from the driveway to make sure our kids were in bed before I came inside.

Go ahead. Read back on some of my recent posts where I weep for joy over the divine holiness of motherhood and family. It's still true. It's just that this week I think I'm in purgatory.

4 comments:

Angela said...

Isn't that the truth! I have had so many weeks like this one you describe so well:). I love that you bought dove chocolate and read your book in your car. That is just plain hilarious and you called to make sure they were in bed before going in...such a wonderful idea I plan on copying that one! :) On a positive note, we have all been there, made it through and you know as well as I do that next week will go better because well...it has to! :) Have a great weekend!

Jules said...

I remember brutal days (weeks, months, etc.) like you're describing but I must say, and I couldn't help myself, I laughed right out loud over you calling Greg from outside your house to make sure the kids were in bed. There were desperate times like that in our household when you girls were growing up too. I remember hiding in a closet one time to avoid you girls and told Dad NOT to let you find me for at least 15 minutes.

tara said...

This post brings to life some of my fears of motherhood. I have already laid the expectation for Mike that I MUST have "me" time often. (you know, the important items to discuss when moving toward the family planning stage!!) I'm thankful that Greg takes good care of you. It's good to know that days (weeks, months?) like this really do exist, but even better to know that you remain a great mom and wife while dealing with some of the not-so-fun and monotonous family life issues.
Since I rarely get an opportunity to visit with you, I truly love reading about your day-to-day life.
XOXO

KayLynn said...

This is actually KayLynn reporting, not David (as it is usually). Holy cow, I laughed out loud picturing you sitting in your car in the driveway to get away. That's hilarious. Although, I'm pretty sure there's a lovely Starbucks close to your house, and a park, and probably even a bar that may have been a further, and possibly more scenic get-away than your driveway! That's why it's so funny. I love it.

On a different note, why did poor Aubrey hate VBS? I thought she liked it last year...?